Poll: Controllers Only, Hardware Synths as Controllers, or both?

No, I only have seen a few happy users on YouTube, but I would prefer to try. I consider that most of the MIDI controller I could test have poor keybeds. My VPC1 has a perfect keybed for piano playing (but not for my back when moving), my Numa Organ waterfall keybed is perfect for organ playing, I still love the keybeds of my older synths (e.g. my DX7), but I have really difficulties to find a correct MIDI controller with a keybed I like.

Sometimes there is a good reason to have several keyboards… have more fun :wink:

1 Like

In the meantime, until I upgrade, I’ve been using MIDI Designer Pro 2 with pretty good results

It has the same keybed as the studio logic sl88 studio and its also used in my kurzweil forte se, it is the fater tp 100 i think and i must say it is clunky. I definitely have used alot better actions but it does the job and it was designed for weght reduction in 88 note controllers

1 Like

How do u like the internal hammond sound in comparison to blue 3

I hadn’t seen that numa organ before. If it had a pitch and mod wheel, I’d be more interested.

It does that are sideways by the look

I like it very much and even use it! I don’t have blue 3, but that’s perhaps a sign that I don’t think trying other Hammond VST is a priority. :wink:

You have both. The only drawback (why is there always one?!) is that it has no aftertouch. So I am thinking of adding an aftertouch strip to it… it’s on my long list. So, for the moment I use my AX edge keytar for aftertouch.

In my experience VPC1 is the best piano keybed. But I am not a real piano player so Studiologic SL73 is enough. I bought Mixface too and the interplay is absolutely perfect. On synth keys NI Kontrol S 61 is the best. All others (including Arturia Keylab mkII) are too soft and suffer from ghost notes. That means missing midi note off when you play glissando on a Hammond simulation.
I agree with many others: old synths had wonderful keybed, recently low cost controllers have terrible plastic keys. Inadequate for any serious player

Yeah, just noticed — that’s just weird!

@Angel , I remember you from the old Forte’ forums. Good to see you’re still at it. Thanks for the response.

2 Likes