Pianoteq in GP

What PC message are you trying to learn? You have 11 or so rackspaces there so program changes between 1 and 11 (actual messages between 0 and 10) will not get through to the MidiIn Block.
Also, in Global MIDI options, you need to make sure that
a) You’re accepting PC messages from the particular controllers and
b) You have the option checked to Pass unused PC messages

screenshot_3614

c) Also, you need to make sure that you haven’t previously assigned a PC event to something else in Gig Performer. You can open the MIDI Assignment List (from the Windows menu) to check this

Yeah, see my followup comment to @deanwinter

Finally — I’m wondering why you’re trying to do it this way? Why not just create separate instances of Pianoteq in different rackspaces, configure each of them with the sound you want, and then just switch from one rackspace to another to get the desired sound.

Alternatively, if you feel you must control Pianoteq in a single rackspace, take a look at this blog article we wrote that describes a way to do this from widgets. We’re using Native Instruments FM8 as the plugin but the concepts will apply to what you’re doing as well.

1 Like

Yes but @deanwinter monitored the MIDI messages going into the Pianoteq VST and he could check that PC messages were sent to the plugin. From the Pianoteq built in MIDI monitor… pffft… no more PC messages :thinking:

I’m not aware of a MIDI monitor built into Pianoteq — where is that?

Hmmm, is this a VST3 version of Pianoteq? According to Steinberg VST3 plugins don’t respond to Program Change events. I normally use VST2 for everything — I just tried the VST3 version and indeed it does NOT respond to PC events.

djh, you, sir, are a straight up genius. I swapped it out for the VST2 version and everything works exactly as expected.

Thanks for tolerating my noob questions, folks. And djh, I owe you a beer. Probably more than one.

Dean

Oh, and just for posterity (in case anyone else is searching for something similar), the MIDI monitor in Pianoteq is accessed via the “Options” button and then the MIDI section.

And of course using the vst2, the Pianoteq built in MIDI monitor receives the PC messages properly ? :face_with_monocle:

Yep, shows up just as you’d expect.

Thanks again, folks. Hopefully this thread will help some other hapless person in the future :wink:

:call_me_hand::grinning::+1:

@deanwinter, sorry I did not see this sooner, but I went through these same exact problems… documented somewhere here on the forums. Anyway, Steinberg actually says vst3 can receive PC messages, but it is up to the plug in manufacturer to implement, just as it was with vst2. But none of mine do respond and they are all big names (u-he, NI, Arturia, IK etc) and I find it weird those manufacturers would not address this, so who knows. I just use vst2 and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of benefit to vst3 and it is primarily up to the plugin manufactures to take advantage of those possible benefits… and if they’re not even getting PCs… https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/vst-2-4-vs-vst-3-0-who-cares-you-do/

1 Like