Organ slides

I once owned an m-audio keyboard too (code 61) and I had always erratic note hangs or even complete dropouts, so every time i see someone complain about about this issue in connection with an m-audio controller, there’s an alarm ringing in the rear of my head…
I then sold that device and got another one… all the issues were gone!

Another one or another one from M-Audio?

No M-audio anymore… that brand is “burnt” for me now. I had a Numa C2X and a NI Kontrol 61 mk2, and now a Roland A-800… none of them let me down the way the M-audio did.

I use a used Numa Organ 2, which is the less expensive controller I found with a waterfall keyboard and 73 keys. It has a dynamic keyboard, but no aftertouch and the MIDI implementation is far from perfect. But, when used only as an organ controller it does the job very well.

Thanks. I’m going to look into these different controllers. I think at least one of them is out of production but may be on Reverb.

My reasons for going software based is to have more sound options, greater control and consistency compared to the hardware synths and frankly, weight. I have been playing guitar for years now and didn’t miss lugging these huge cases up and down stairs and all that. But an old friend asked me to get on keys and it has been fun. I played keyboards for 10 years in clubs back in the 90s.

Sorry to go on a bit. I thought M Audio would have been a reasonable choice but I’m thinking they’re for home use. I’m probably looking at getting a much better pro controller. And it’s probably going to be as heavy as my Korg Nautilus. What are you gonna do…

Jarrod Loughlin from "The McCartney Songbook” uses on tour only M-Audio, here is the Rig Rundown:

There’s just one bad news, he’s using Mainstage. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I used the SL Numa 2, an old Alesis QS 7.1 and now an actual Hammond XK-5 to (sometimes) control the IK B3-X plugin and I never get hanging notes and I do a lot of sliding.

I normally just go USB 2.0 to my laptop with as short of a cable as I can use but I also sometimes use MIDI DIN cable to my MOTU M4 interface. Neither give me any issues.

When you get a hang, can you open midi monitor and see that you didn’t recieve a midi note off message for the offending note?

I had huge problems playing organ (aggressive glissando) with an M-audio Oxygen 61.
But it was years ago when I was with windows and Reaper.
Now I play with Native Instruments Kontrol S61 mkII, GigPerformer, MacBookPro and new audio boards.
Absolutely no problems, no stuck notes.
But since everything has changed I cannot be sure about M-audio.
I don’t like key feeling of cheap controllers, I feel comfortable only with NI devices.
Sadly I had mixed experience also with Arturia Keylab 61 mkII so I sold it.

Maybe it’s me?

So far the only keyboard that I couldn’t get to stick, I’m trying to cause the issue for diagnostics, was the basic M Audio 61 Keystation. I don’t love the feel and it has very few controls. I ditched the Oxygen model and spring for the Arturia KeyLab 61 Mark II (I expected it to be silver and have an icing problem at altitude). Yep. It sticks on agressive glissandos (thanks Furio, I like that). WTF (Why the face?).

It has a great feel and nice controls but on certain parts of songs it sticks, usually one note. I haven’t found the midi log thing to see if the off message is missing but it hardly matters, it happens in multiple plugins. For now, I’m going with my VR730 which has a great key bed and a great Hammond, piano, etc. but MIDI implementation that seems like an afterthought. I haven’t tried it as a controller for GP but if it’s there already, I’ll probably rely on its internal sounds. Just no flexibility.

For those of you who are interested, I even bought an external power supply for the Arturia at 12 volts AND a powered hub, shout out to David-san, どうもありがとう. I tried USB direct, hubs and 5 pin dim. Just for the heck of it, also tried an aluminum foil hat.

For a different style of playing, I’d be good to go with almost any of these products paired with GP4 so perhaps it will be my sound source for keyboard 2. I feel like for now, I’ve given this a fair trial and it just doesn’t work for me. But you folks are great, so thank you!

Same here. Playing aggressive organ glissando with an M-audio Oxygen Pro 61 is difficult. You could even injure yourself because of the sharp-edged keys.

My problem were very frequent note on without note off. Many stuck notes. With Native Instruments controller I never had a problem in years

Problem has reared its head, live unfortunately, with the NI keyboard. I’m looking for other solutions if there are any ideas not already mentioned as I have tried anything suggested.

Thanks all!