Old dog, new tricks

We all are “Jäger und Sammler”.
You have to test and buy a lot of plugins - to be sure what you do not need :wink:

4 Likes

@RB17 Perhaps you could tell us what kind of music you play? Do you regularly play live? What hardware synths do you already own? That will give us a clue to the kind of sounds you like, though as already mentioned Arturia V-collection is always a great starting point.

If you don’t intend to do in-depth programming, check out Arturia Analog Lab as it has all the engines of V-Collection for a 3rd of the price. You can even get Analog Lab Play for free to get a good idea if you are going to like the sounds of the paid for packages.

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with license transfers, mostly through the V Control forum.

1 Like

On the last album that I recorded, Gold on the Horizon, with the band, Our Man in the Field, an Americana band, I used the following keyboards that I own:

Roland RD2000
Hammond B3 Organ with a Leslie 2103 mk2 speaker
Sequential Prophet X
Sequential Prophet Rev2
DSI/Oberheim OB-6
Oberheim OB-Xa
Oberheim Matrix-12
Nord Electro 6D
Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Moog Subsequent 25
Korg Wavestate

When playing live recently, I have compromised by using only one the Nord Electro 6D and Nord Wave 2.

I use acoustic pianos, the Hammond B3, and Fender Rhodes sounds, and I’ve layered ethereal pads from several synths.

Including a flute mellotron sound

In terms of plugins, my personal recommendations would be:

Piano & e-Piano: Modartt Pianoteq - https://www.modartt.com/
More e-Piano - Lounge Lizard EP-4 - AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4 VST AU AAX
Hammond B3 - IK Multimedia B-3X - IK Multimedia - Hammond B-3X
Synths - Arturia V-Collection / Analog Lab - https://www.arturia.com/

Choice of controller is going to come down to personal preference. I use 2 controllers, one a synth action and the other weighted. For weighted action, I favour the StudioLogic SL88 Studio as it’s not too heavy to carry around and use a Roland Fantom 07 for a synth action controller (and sound-source on some songs).

Your RD2000 is an excellent weighted controller (as well as an excellent stage piano), but not the most portable when compared to something like the SL88. Your personal preference and requirements are going to play the largest part in your controller choice.

Are you hoping to use just one controller, or would you prefer using two for different types of action? (no-one really likes doing B3 sweeps on a weighted keybed!)

2 Likes

I just downloaded the IK Multimedia organ. Sounds great!

1 Like

We will be touring in February, so the main reason why I’m doing this is to be able to take a controller keyboard and a laptop into an airplane with me, the sounds you recommended are awesome. Thank you.

1 Like

I use GForce Software MTron Pro for all things Mellotron

3 Likes

Definite +1 from me for GForce MTron and their other plugins.

1 Like

Any reason to use this one when you already own the Arturia one?

Much more content

1 Like