New Yamaha MontageM

I really hope Yamaha will sell it seperately from the hardware.

Yes. I saw the video and it seems good enough, also in this preliminary release.
Let’s see…

I completed the MontageM E.S.P installation yesterday on Macbook Pro and Mac Studio. The VST3 and AU registered in GP without issue. An authorization pop-up occurs once you add the VST into a Rackspace and open the plugin. I could successfully import a small number of custom presets from my MontageM8x. These worked perfectly. The gain level in the plugin is a little lower than I would like; however, this can easily be adjusted with an extra gain level.

The patches do not sound as rich out of the gate; however, a little extra Fab Filter Pro-Q will fix that.

At under 8 GBs, the footprint is surprisingly small. The performance is snappy, with the plug-ins loading quickly. I’ll be putting this through the paces today.

No hiccups with GP whatsoever. Thank you, GP, for making such a rock-solid platform!

That’s huge

About 13GBs uncompressed. Still Small compared to many of Kontakt Libraries!

I had strange same feeling when I compared MontageM with Nord Stage4 and YC88. It could be a full 24 bit sample library without bit compression. I need to make a comparison in a controlled environment.

8 GB is not huge. It is a full workstation copy. There are a lot of samples. In high resolution probably

Depends how much of it has to get loaded into RAM and/or whether that plugin can stream samples from disk (so as not to use a lot of RAM) the way Kontakt and Decent Sampler can do.

I asked on the Montage forum whether the plugin streams samples and was told no. So it’s probably a bit of a CPU hog. I still would be curious how well that plugin works in GP

The plugin today plays 100% of MontageM presets.
Editing is in some way limited. Since a lot of presets are rompler type sounds, plugin can reproduce everything made this way. Or FM, or ANX.
Maybe it cannot play samples that are loaded by user.
But in this community no one would use a MontageM plugin for sampling. We have better sources for that.

According to a user on a Montage forum the plugin does read programs with user samples. Of course the main question is how well does this plugin work in Gig Performer. So I would be interested in any observations from anyone that has both the plugin and Gig Performer.

I agree. Nice news would be “I tested plugin in GP and it works fast and in a reliable way”. Meaning that all presets are usable, CPU and ram use are acceptable.
But it’s not easy. Guys here are used to work with VST libraries, few of them are still with a workstation. Very few are interested to buy a new one.
If Yamaha will sell the plugin at a reasonable price then the landscape could change

2 Likes

For me it would be exactly the same, I would buy such a plugin from Yamaha immediately. But I don’t need a whole workstation at the moment.