New User - Prog Change/Radio Buttons

Hi all, Currently looking at converting from MainStage to GP4. I have built a global rack consisting of Piano (Pianoteq), Rhodes (Lounge Lizard), and Strings (Cinematic Strings in Kontakt), as these are my core sound sets for when I play live, and will also have racks for Hammond, and synth layers. So far so good. However my question is, can buttons on the rack send programme changes to the plugin (without selecting a different rack programme)? Also, can these be radio buttons? - ie a row of say 8 buttons on the hammond - only 1 can be selected at a time, but latched/lit up, like the key presets on a hammond? If its momentary, it won’t remain lit, so I won’t know what is live…
Any thoughts/help?

Welcome to GP community! :slight_smile:

Yes, to all of the above. You can search the forum for “radio buttons” and will find the script. So these would be in the regular rackspace and you want to send PC to the plugin in the global RS? You could link these widgets to widgets in the global rackspace that send PC messages to the plugin. Depending on the plugin, most VST3’s do not accept PC messages, so you might want to look into either using VST2’s or use the built-in GP presets option. That feature is experimental, but I change GP presets quite a bit without any issues.

Hi @V27RJH

See this example: How to realize "radio buttons" with scripting

… and welcome to our community :beers:

Hi @V27RJH, welcome to the GP community forum.

Regarding the radio buttons, your got an answer, but sending program changes to the plugins to change presets is probably not the best idea. Please, have a look at this blog article:

https://gigperformer.com/rackspaces-vs-program-changes/

Thank you. I think I understand the concerns. The only one I think I do need to do is with Pianoteq - selecting normal, soft or felt piano’s on the fly without anything else changing on the rack - But I can also do that with a cc message not PC.

Thank you, that is great as the example is exactly what I want it for. Just need to work are where these scripts get placed…
It would be great if you could just group some buttons as radio buttons.

You should rather do it using host automation not MIDI. In GP you control widgets (onscreen buttons, knobs, sliders…) using MIDI controls and plugins using host automation.

That’s a nice new idea! May the devs be interested in your suggestion. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

4 Likes

Thank you. Have it all working great now!