Is it Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt that is needed to use NI sounds in GP

Just try it yourself and compare if you’ll get any advantages regarding CPU and RAM usage…
(and please don’t forget to tell us the results :wink:)

I would replace it, because with Control you have unnecessary overhead.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer (having to convert a lot of songs in the next weeks/months) :slight_smile:

If you purchase Kontakt v6 now, make sure that you get a free upgrade to v7, which is scheduled to be released this month (September) as part of Komplete v14. I don’t know for sure, but it may be wise to wait for the v7 release and purchase it directly. You might try asking NI if they will be offering free upgrades to Kontakt v7 for purchases of the current v6 so close to v7’s release.

5 Likes

I too was confused by which plugin to use: Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt. I initially setup my rackspaces using Komplete Kontrol but that was a mistake. It’s un-necessary overhead and I wasn’t using Komplete Kontrol integration functions. Gig Performer does it all.
I had to take time to replace all the instances with Kontakt. I was also confused why I couldn’t find some sounds in Kontakt. That’s because Native Instruments has them in other plugins like Reaktor and Massive.

1 Like

I tried with 3 instruments, and the difference was about 1 %, hard to measure, so not so worthwhile.

1 Like

See my comment above (just 1% difference for three instruments moved from KompleteKontrol to Super or Kontakt (Retro Machines MK2). It seems the overhead is almost negligible.

What about loading time?

I haven’t tried that (hard to measure I guess). I normally have some time before a new song starts so that’s (for now at least) not an issue.

It all depends on how you use the plugins and instruments. It’s not uncommon for me to run four or more instruments in Kontakt, per midi channel, and the instruments themselves have a huge impact on resource. Instruments like NI Pharlight, Straylight and Ashlight have enormous loading and can easily run well over 100 voices dynamically if not limited. So yes, you can run into scenarios where there are significant differences in resource requirements between KK, K, how many instruments are loaded into one instance of Kontakt (or multiple instances of Kontakt). It just depends on what you are trying to do. In yours it doesn’t look like you have much problem either way which is a good thing IMO.

1 Like

Good to see that this, which started out as a newbie question from me, ended up clearing up quite a few understandings, and misunderstandings, about Native Instrument’s products :grinning:

2 Likes

I just checked NI’s website. Kontakt 7 and Komplete 14 are now launching in October. Since October has 31 days, it could still be 4-5 weeks away. Sigh.