How to use GP Relayer with Logic

This procedure is tested with Logic v10.7.4.

In this example, we’ll use two GP Relayer blocks; the GP Relayer #1 block will send audio from Gig Performer to Logic, and the GP Relayer #2 block will receive audio from Logic to Gig Performer.

First, insert a GP Relayer block in the Wiring view and connect your audio source to the GP Relayer plugin (GP Relayer #1):

In the GP Relayer plugin editor window make sure that Send is set.
In the Via section choose a desired Relay – in this example Relay #1.

Next, double-click the GP Relayer #2 block and in the plugin editor window make sure that Receive is set and that Relay #2 is selected in the Via section.

Now, open Logic and add Audio tracks to receive and to send audio.

To receive audio in Logic add a GP Relayer AU plugin and configure as below:

Note the ‘I’ of the track must be turned on (and select ‘R’ when recording).

For sending audio from Logic to Gig Performer, add a GP Relayer AU plugin in Logic and configure as below:

For your convenience, you can download:

Credits: @elucid

1 Like

Here’s a YouTube Short w/ Cameron Winters.

1 Like

Thanx. Can you please help with the midi connection.
I use in GP: Midi in > Midi Filter > GP relayer send (midi connected)

How Do I use a Software Instrument with the midi in from GP (not from Logic?)

Just use an IAC port to send MIDI into Logic and use Relayer to capture the audio to send back to Gig Performer

Yes, I am pretty sure this is the only way to do it with Logic.

In Logic 11 there is a new port available referred to as the Logic Pro Virtual In (or Out).

1 Like

If you want to record (link)

While you you can get audio coming into the track, note that Logic is recording the track input device, not the output of GP Relayer. To record GP Relayer, @rank13 needed to route it to a Bus, and then have a second audio track that had this Bus set to be the track input.

Could someone elaborate on how to do this, using the Logic Pro Virtual In that elucid references below?

Ok, I’ve tried this method that npudar suggested above. Still saying that 'Local host is not active". I’ve turned on Input monitoring (which in my opinion defeats the purpose of monitoring directly for gig performer). Nothing is working… Very frustrating. has anyone figured out a solution for using in Logic or GarageBand? Thanks!!!

The solution on the page you referenced works just fine. Logic was the first DAW we used for testing. There’s even a template Logic file.

You don’t mention what version of macOS you’re using or whether you’re using Intel or Apple Silicon - or what version of Logic you’re using, etc.

Makes it rather difficult to start diagnosing the issue.

Did you actually press the Record button or is the DAW stopped?

Ive been using GP with Logic for a while and it seems to work fine most of the time. Pretty cool actually.
The only issue is Logic reports ‘an AU plugin has caused an error’ every now and then. Maybe 3-4 times during a 3 hour session and i lose sound. The option to reset works fine though so it’s a minor inconvenience.
There are no other plugins running in Logic, im just using it to play back a wav file so I can play/record along with it.

I’ve seen that with many plugins on Logic - randomly.
Not a very helpful error message, is it!

Ive only ever seen this when GP Relayer is active. Obviously im not saying its got anything to do with GP, but that’s the only plugin that im using and have never seen this message before.
Luckily it’s a one button fix and doesn’t seem to have any effect on the project.