How to Display Decibel Values Numerically

so I won’t be able to run it on M1 right?

I don’t know too much of mac: others can advise you better, but I think ‘Rosetta’ is the way to run Intel code on apple silicon

In that case Gig Performer as an application also needs to be run under Rosetta. :thinking:

I’ve looked it up and it seems I can cross compile for arm also, so possibly you’re not out of luck :pray:

2 Likes

I succeeded (probably) to create a Mac universal version (arm64 and x86_64), but it’s not notarized, so you’ll need to give it permission to run somehow, but I don’t know how to do that exactly. Luckily a lot of people on this forum know how,

shasum:
7a2c41b47098ec4d5e1f509d43cedf3a93274843 Magnitude.vst3.zip
Magnitude.vst3.zip (1.9 MB)

I’m curious to know if this is any good from the perspective: “Does it even run on M1 or whatever”. After that, it would be nice if the plugin from a functional point of view is any good.

Of course your priorities will be the opposite, but you can’t try the plugin with regards of its function, when it doesn’t run :wink:

I hope it works out for the best :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I got it running.
But I can’t understand the unit. I would like to have the values in decibel. Is this possible?

You could use a script to do that, but I can try. Juce has some functions for that. But good to know the compilation went well

Is there a reason not to use the Envelope Follower, as in my earlier example?

3 Likes

I’ve added extra parameters that report the text-values in db. The value itself is mapped on a range from -1000…0 and is expressed in 10ths of dB.

MacOS binary:
shasum: 5650f71976baf1c684d5dbd6cf7652cb7326b05c Magnitude.vst3.zip
Magnitude.vst3.zip (1.9 MB)

Windows Binary:
SHA256: 2349a15f31674f80c923d13a161a76972e8e3b69ebd0143c9ba594ee525d6e55 Magnitude-Windows.zip
Magnitude-Windows.zip (1.6 MB)

4 Likes

Thanks @Frank1119 , it works perfectly!

No, not really, also a good idea. I’ll try both out. (I’m quite new to GigPerformer, so sometimes I’m not sure what to do :smiley: )

I use the excellent (and free) dpMeter5 plugin to measure loudness values in LUFS. (It can also do decibels of course). I display the loudness both “momentary” (that is, integrated over 0.3s) and “short-term” (integrated over 3s), both as a numerical value and also as a custom meter using shape widgets whose colour and dimensions change dynamically when the parameters change.

I implemented all of this in GP4 before the Envelope Follower existed. I suspect I could do the same and possibly with less CPU load using Envelope Followers but haven’t delved into that yet.

3 Likes

Will “Magnatude vst3” work for this situation, and if so how to connect it?
I was just wanting to have the Noise Gate display db values.

I just tried it – this is a bug in TH-U — it is not returning a text version of the actual db Value.

You should report this to Overloud

2 Likes