GP and Behringer motor 61

Hello
I am considering the purchase of a Berhinger motor 61.
Will the motorized faders work with GP?
That is, if I change rackspace, my faders will align with GP settings?
thanks

This can work when the faders react on the same CC message as they are sending out.

The Motör 61 follows the Mackie Control Protocol (MCP), so there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to control it from GP. For instance, here is what I did with another motorized control surface:

I had to do some scripting, especially to control the display the way I wanted to, but basic MCP should work properly without scripting.

As long as your motorized faders can be set to use a normal CC messages (NOT the MCP or some other protocol) it will work without issues. Simply make sure you drop a widget, learn the MIDI cc from the fader and then press the “SYNC” button for that widget.

Any change in that widget will not be immediately reflected in the faders and vice-versa

The MCP is nothing special, basically a set of standardized regular MIDI messages. e.g. For the faders, it is a pitch bend message with a different MIDI channel for each fader. It should work out of the box with GP. But for displaying something on an MCP controller, scripting is mandatory.

Hi
I bought the berhinger and it works very well.
The faders are set up each time the rackspace is changed.
It is very appreciated to be able to slightly modify a gain from the right location.
The knobs are also in the right position.
This keyboard is very good for me because it is very compact and lightweight.
The keys are a bit of a toy, but it doesn’t matter to me because it’s in addition to my 88 keys.
On the other hand, aftertouch is very effective.

It is a good news that it works right out of the box :+1:

I really wish you well with this keyboard. It really gets a lot of things right for me. As it’s selling for $149 right now, I may even give it a try! I definitely would have liked more buttons, above or below the faders… and a few more encoders. But ultimately, when I first checked it out, I just couldn’t take the leap of faith to buy.a “Behringer” keyboard. Yeah, I know they have been trying to up their game lately, but…

Anyway, I wanted to ask you about the faders… do you by chance you them for B3 draw bar control? I was wondering what the resistance was like because of the motors and or if you had any issues with that? In the manual it mentions that the faders should only be moved slowly and not more than 4 at a time.

I did not try with the B3 but I did not notice any resistance in the faders.
I move them quickly without it force. They even slide a little too easily to my taste.
I’ll try the drawbars and I’ll tell you that again

Behringer has some quality gear these days (X32 series, some of their speakers) but the Mötor build quality is unfortunately terrible. The keys are awful and the motorized faders aren’t accurate - recalling the same value can lead to quite different positions, at least on the one that I tried in the store. I was very disappointed because feature wise it’s near the top of the list.

That has been a new information for me.
I can confirm this also for an presonus faderport.

I mapped the pitchbend to cc07 - et voilà - it works: the faders set the value accordingly.
What i did recognize in the Midi Monitor: the pitch bend values refer from 0-16xxx. As i know, Midi value Range is from 0-127
How does GP mapps this different Range?

Because the human ear is extraordinarily sensitive to pitch, pitchbend was implemented as a 14-bit value (some 16000 steps) rather than a 7-bit value like other, less critical controllers. This has always been the case, I’m pretty sure.

GP maps all the widget values from 0.0 to 1.0 (think of percentage of the original integer MIDI range). This make the GP widget cleverly work with any MIDI range.

Using my Icon Platform M+ control surface, I tested both with the original MCU standard (each fader affected to a pitch bend message on a different MIDI channel) and a custom defined mode (a different generic CC message on the same MIDI channel), and to adjust levels with the fader, there were no noticeable difference to me.