Global Rackspace to load multiple Arturia Analog Lab instances?

You know predictive load?

Yep tried it and turned it down to three, it is almost impossible to work with while editing. I know to hold shift down to switch between rackspaces and if you forget and you have a large setlist, it just hangs as it tries to unload and load GBs of stuff!!! Others have avoided predictive load for similar reasons and built a machine with 64GB of memory just make sure all the plugins can be reloaded at once.

Performance is very different to building and editing songs, see my previous post in this thread. I have now resorted to one “rackspace” per “gigfile” so that I can build songs, then loading them as a setlist and trying to remember NO EDITS!!!

I want to use GP over MS but I still do not feel close to being comfortable with GP after almost 2 years trying (off and on). I will add, I am not comfortable with MS either but it is working at the moment. I am having to keep my three machines all at the same build stage to keep the status quo.

You should think about resampling such demanding instruments.
There are some solutions like BLISS or Sample Robot,

Really?
Because of memory usage?

I was very happy with GP when I bought GP3 once over the learning curve, but was missing a common area, so didn’t progress as far as I would have liked. After the upgrade to GP4 I thought that the run to the line would be straight forward, so started the port of all my songs. All well and good up to about have of a setlist then problems. These all seem to come down to memory use.

I like this idea, I make very few dynamic adjustments throughout a set, this maybe the answer I have been looking for. That way I can reserve the use of the Arturia stuff while building the song in my single song gig files. I would need to look carefully at key tracking effects, but it is food for thought, Thanks

By the way, for Pianos I am using Pianoteq.
In my opinion the best pianos and playable very well and NO SAMPLES.

1 Like

I have used it in the past, and yes it was good.

I was trying to limit all my plugins to just one source, but it looks like more exploring to be done. I am really trying to understand if it is my usage of GP that is missing something that will make the problems go away.

Memory Usage normal has the same issues with MS or whatever VST Host you are using when
multiple plugins are loaded at the same time.
And keep in mind that many Sample Libraries do have Articulations and layer in you will never use Live.
Therefore I like Kontakt that much because of Purging the Sample Pool.
Only needed Notes or velocities are loaded in RAM which are really necessary.

This is the Kontact Player I assume?

No, I am using full Kontakt.
I am not sure if Kontakt Player has this option.
Because you have to save as an instrument to use it next time you load that instrument.

But take a look at BLISS 2.1 for resampling.

1 Like

SOLVED
I am always reserved when buying new releases of software. So I have been running Aurtura V6 for some time, I wanted V7 but missed the cheap V7 offer just before the release of V8. As the only thing I wanted from V7 was the Mellotron and I already used the sforzando sampler I though I would skip the upgrade. Arturia have just released V9, so, as the V8 was on offer I bought V8. I don’t just put the software on the machines instantly, preferring to do it when I have time to check it works and then check it does exactly the same on my three systems.

So two days ago as we were adding a few new songs to the set, I started to upgrade my studio machine with the Arturia V8 plugins. So I could use some of the new plugins. I ran up MS with the V8 plugins to check that my “concert” was still intact before starting the new songs, as expected some gremlins, so I started to work through them. Thinking back to this thread, I decided to check how much memory MS was now using as I had now added some new plugins and some new songs. I was a little shocked to find MS was now using about 3Gb less than previous (I suspect previously it was capped due to less memory in the machine last time I checked). So I rebooted and tried again, and got the same results. I ran through all the songs and then checked memory use again. Not only was the memory still less it hadn’t changed. This got me thinking have I been facing a memory leak?

Yesterday I loaded up GP4 and my set, only about 2/3 complete, but this used to top out on memory at 40Gb and make editing almost impossible as it flailed around with swap files. I touched nothing and went straight to check the memory, it was just 7Gb. So I turned off the predictive loading so the remaining “rackspaces” could be loaded. With all in, memory usage was now at just 18Gb. The really good news was that as I played through the songs it remained stable. I have returned to it today and memory use is exactly the same and steady.

It looks like my issue has been down to memory leaks, the higher number of instances (and Arturia plugins) used in GP over the alias scheme in MS, seemed to just exacerbate the problem. Unfortunately I have a couple of rehearsals coming up with the new songs and don’t want to risk any further changes, so will stick on MS until after Sunday’s rehearsal. Next week I will attempt to get a full set working in GP4.

Watch this space…

2 Likes