Global Rackspace. Sending Midi to Virtual Instruments

bypass the VSTs that are NOT in use when the global rackspace is included in a rackspace — in order to save CPU.

Yes and No.

Good coded plugins do not consume CPU when not played.

2 Likes

It is never a bad idea and even often a good idea as some plugins use CPU even when not played. And if you play them muted, they will certainly use as much CPU as if not muted.

How about memory? By bypassing a plug-in in the global rack space… —-Will that free up memory until the plug-in is un-bypassed?

No, I don’t see why it should be so. It is loaded, even if not active.

You asked about best practices.

You probably shouldn’t put an instrument in the global rackspace unless you intend to use it in pretty much every song.

When you put plugins in regular rackspaces, they are automatically bypassed when you switch away from them. If memory is really a concern, then predictive loading can be used to significantly reduce memory.

Ok thanks…. Kind of a long story here…. We have some cheaper keyboard controllers —- with no sound which we use in practice space. So I use all vsts for practice. When we gig, I bring my own keyboards — 1 of which is a Korg krome so I use some sounds in it. So I have a different mix of vsts that I use in practice vs. gigging.

I used to maintain 2 separate gig files which was a pain. Now I have everything in 1 gig file and I just toggle a few buttons to go from practice to a live gig. It works for me and has saved a lot of maintaining. I like the global rack space as it keeps my individual rack spaces clean. And if I have a problem— now I’ve got less places to look. It works for me and I should mention I have a powerful desktop so resources don’t appear to be a problem.

@dhj do you know if there’s any updates on this?

I’m using piano all the time so I put it in the global rackspace and use a bunch or different racks for a second keyboard. The challenge I’m having is I want some of the racks to also send midi to the global piano automatically when I load them. Currently, I’m adding the second controller midi input within the global rack and have to remember to turn it on and off.

See this blog article: Gig Performer | Using MIDI OSC blocks to send MIDI to the Global Rackspace

1 Like

Thank you so much!!