Feature Request - Global MIDI Input Mapping

In the past using MainStage, there are times when I may change hardware and/or a MIDI input port for a given keyboard for my concerts. MainStage has the layout designer feature where you design the keyboards which will have plugins assigned to them. So if you have two keyboards, then each MainStage page will map different sounds to each keyboard. If you change the keyboard or the MIDI Input device, then it is rather easy to change the MIDI input for each of the two keyboards and create a new .concert that maps to the new MIDI Input interface(s). You don’t have to change each concert patch.

Using Gig Performer with two keyboards, I can see setting up each rackspace for a given song (or set of songs) and each variation to have two MIDI Input Plugins for each of the two keyboards which identifies the MIDI Input Interface. And using the example referenced above of two keyboards, if there comes a time in the future where the MIDI Input needs to change due to hardware replacements, then each rackspace ane each variation in all of my .gig files would need to change. Perhaps there is a way to implement a MIDI Input Mapping feature for the .GIG file or for the global application. This allows the .gig files to reference an abstracted MIDI Input, while you can then map the physical MIDI Input connector to the abstracted MIDI Input that is used by the .gig files.

This would save time if there is a need to change keyboards for a given performance.

Dominick, when you are on Mac you can define a virtual Device in Midi Audio settings.
In my case I am using S88 on Stage and Doepfer LMK88 for rehearsal, works fine.

Another option is to replace a midi input in the whole Gig by just doing a global change.

Hope that helps.

One of the features of the Gig Performer 1.8.x is the ability to change the MIDI device associated with a MIDI input block and do it for the entire gig

If you name your MIDI input blocks something like “Top Keyboard” and “Bottom Keyboard” say (you don’t have to, but it’s a good practice) - you can now right click on the MIDI in block and change the device associated with it. GP will now ask you if you wanted to make the same change in all rackspaces throughout your gig. IF you confirm - you are done.

This helps with this possible issue, but we do have plans to make this better and use a level of abstraction that will work even better.

Thanks for both responses. I believe that either or both of these solutions will work for me as you mentioned.

Hi @pianopaul,

I have tried to do this but am having no success. I created a new device in Audio MIDI Setup, named it and created connections to other hardware devices. But this “virtual” device is not showing up in GP in the rig manager or in the rack editor. What am I doing wrong?

Think this tread can help :wink:

Thank you @keyman, but that doesn’t help my particular situation. I need a virtual device, not a virtual port to send data to another application. But I appreciate your suggestion :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Amor,

is it available as a normal Midi Input Device in Gig Performer?

Do you have any DAW?
Is it available there?

Can you upload a screenshot of your Audio-Midi-Window?

Perhaps I don’t understand your use of the term “virtual device.” Did you mean an IAC virtual port? Or do you mean a user created/defined device that acts as a proxy for a physical device? I can see the IAC ports within GP & ProTools, but not the device named “VGuitar setup” which has defined inputs and output channels as well as MTC settings.

I think it is not visible because none of the source devices are present.

@pianopaul is right as usual. Unless you have a device connected - you will not see Guitar setup as available.
I use the same trick for my pedal as I never know if I’ll plug it into my MIDI Sport or directly in XR18 or some other midi port so I create a virtual device like you did, but at least one of the devices it’s connected to must be physically connected to your system.

IAC Driver stuff is for “Inter Application Communication” which if what we thought you needed.

Yes, thank you. I know this. Despite having physical connections present when I tried before, the virtual device was not working. I posted an image from my other computer just to demonstrate how it was setup. Sorry for the confusion.

In any case, I determined that this approach would not have accomplished my intended results.