Difference between VST/VST3 & Audio Units

Hey Gp’s,

where is the difference between:

• VST3 Unstrument/Syth
  • VST Synth
  • AudioUnit Synth

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-28 um 18.01.27

thanks in advance

In theory, none. In practice, depending on how they we’re implemented, one format might work better than another. I tend to stick to the older VST format as much as possible.

3 Likes

Why?

I am on Mac and try to avoid AU, mostly I use VST 3, but without reason.

1 Like

where are the differences in between?

i work on a mac, and i took all the time VST3, but i dont know why,… maybee because its the first one :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

When you use Gig Performer on different platforms then you have to use VST

1 Like

VST is actually VST2. VST3 in the next generation. Both are defined by Steinberg. In theory, VST3 offers enhanced functionality. In practice, VST developers support less than 100% of the VST3 standard. They often just develop what they need to make their plugin do what they want it to. VST (2.4) plugins can be more reliable. If the plugins you are using as VST3 work, there is no reason to use their VST (2.4) version. Steinberg no longer provides the VST2 development libraries, so new plugin developers have to use VST3 libraries. That is why you will see some plugins only offered in the newer format. The other reason to see VST3 format only is that the plugin developer needs some functionality in the VST3 standard that is not available in VST2.

Mein Deutsch ist schlecht geworden. Macht das was ich oben AUF ENGLISCH (danke, @schamass) geschrieben habe sinn?

4 Likes

Abgesehen davon, dass du den Text in Englisch geschrieben hast, kann ich kein unverständliches Deutsch entdecken. :grin: :wink:
So, i think it’s very verständlich.

1 Like

Deswegen hab’ ich es auf Englisch geschrieben. :+1:

2 Likes

In my experience, they really are. When I can choose, I choose the (older) VST(2) format.

It may happen that (from the same developer) the VST3 causes crashes, and VST doesn’t.

(or other glitches, i.e. the VST3 version doesn’t display the preset names in meaningful descriptions, but a bunch of numbers).

4 Likes

Unfamous example, not so long ago: The FX-Suite from Arturia… which should work ok now.

1 Like

Or this one: For free: Izotope Iris 2 - #6 by npudar

3 Likes

For folks on a Mac, there is something to consider on this subjet:
The intel mac vs. M1 Mac thing.
One might be on a Intel Mac, but might update at some point in time to an M1 mac, or coming ones. Or one might be on a M1mac ( as i am) and want to switch over at some point in time to use the apple native version of GP4 solely. ( to which you have to switch manually btw.)

We had this aspect discussed here in the forum:
GP4 DOES run native on M1macs, but not every plugin does.
Yet, you could use the apple silicon Native version of GP4,
and just load any plugin you use, allways in its AU plugin form.

as @djh has figured out, has apple “allowed” AU plugins to be loaded anyway within apple native ready DAWs, etc. . Regardless if the plugin as such runs as a apple native plugin or not.

another aspect on top of that:
Your plugin presets for AU and VST, are saved in different folders !
From there is it a good idea to stick to one plugin format ( per plugin) as much as possible.

personally i switched in GP3 over to use VST3 only,
and switched now back to use as much as possible AU versions.

Two points to consider on a mac

3 Likes

I don’t have much experience with the AU format. I figured that I don’t have that control over AU plugins on my Mac.

For example, when I install an AU plugin, I must restart Gig Performer (or even Mac) so Gig Performer can find it. As for VST/VST3, I can easily manipulate with them using the Plugin Manager.

Additionally, I can use gig files created on Mac on my PC/laptops as well.

1 Like

Why use VST3?

1. Improved Performance and Lighter on the CPU
    The biggest advance with VST3 is that it only applies processing if there is an audio signal present. This reduces that weight on the computer’s CPU, allowing greatly increased performance.

Let’s say that you have an acoustic guitar that comes in 1 minute and 30 seconds into the song. You’ve applied an eq, a compressor, and some light reverb to that channel. With VST, your computer would process the channel throughout the entire song. With VST3, it would only process it while the instrument is playing.

1. It also allows for 64-bit processing.

2. Route Audio Through VST3 Instruments

With VST3, you can route actual audio through your instruments, not just midi signals. Given the range of possibilities with the human voice, this opens up limitless possibilities now that actual audio can be processed by virtual instruments.

1. VST3 Plugins Are Surround-Capable

This is going to make life easier for sound engineers that often have to switch between 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround sound, i.e. people that work in movies and television.

1. It Has Much Higher Capabilities for Event Handling

Steinberg explains:

“VST3 has a dedicated interface for event handling that carries a much wider range of functionality than standard MIDI events would be able to provide. This opens up a big range of opportunities for musical use cases with very high potential for innovative product design. For example with VST3 some controller events (for example, pitch) can be referred to a note event (using a note unique ID). This offers the possibility to e.g. modulate only a single note which itself is part of a chord.”

1. VST3 Allows For Multiple Midi Inputs

This should really open up the floodgates when it comes to the sounds that you can get out of this new generation of plugins.

From personal experience using a number of VST3 plugins from certain developers, like WAVES as one example (many of their plugins are supplied with both VST and VST3 versions), I can see a huge difference in CPU loading which in turn allows for a significant increase in ability to use more CPU intensive plugins with VST3 than VST plugins making VST3 my primary choice if it’s available.

6 Likes

Thanks for this detailed answer! Really interessting & very nice answer!!!

2 Likes

Most decent VST2 plugins stop processing as well when audio goes away.

I’ve found this to be true for plugins from NI, Arturia, Modartt, etc.

Also, when GP bypasses a plugin, that turns off processing as well.

For those that don’t, you can also get very cute with GP Script where, if you are using a gain control or a mixer to control the output volume of specific plugins, you can arrange to automatically bypass/unbypass those plugins automatically when the volume is set to zero.

All sorts of cool tricks :slight_smile:

Can you explain this one in more detail? I have been doing in Gig Performer with the VST2 versions of the Arturia Mini V and Arturia 2600 for a long time.

4 Likes

@dhj I am far from an expert on the topic, and there is an explanation of the “how-to’s” and limitations on Steinberg’s site which covers it but doesn’t say much. Suffice it to say, although VST3 adds this capability the instrument plug in itself has to support the feature as well. There is a good video on YouTube from Cubase, a Steinberg product, on how to do this HERE. It looks like it has a lot of possibilities and you can really go down the rabbit hole.

Hope the above answers your questions. Perhaps the most exciting but also most challenging aspect is how much technology and capability changes. I often feel torn between studying and getting to know and become proficient with the newer stuff and playing my instrument. Unfortunately it’s so easy to get into a rut and use what is familiar rather than pushing the technology envelope. BTW, your “The Ultimate Guide to Optimize Your Windows PC for the Stage” is fabulous, just like GP. Very helpful to say the least.

1 Like