CPU performance

First some comparisons:

• Your ‘old’ cpu I7-6820EQ
  • My ‘old’ cpu I7-10750H
  • My new cpu I7-1360P
  • Your new cpu I7-12700H

I recently bought a NUC13I7xxx with an I7-1360P, so I could do some real life comparisons with GP. My I7-1360P is roughly 30% faster than my old cpu (single core). Question: Does that reflect in GP also? Answer: Yes it does. Some figures:

(All tests with GP below were made with 64@48KHz audio settings)

Single GP instance:
CPU                 I7-10750H      I7-1360P
Instances VST       2              3

Multiple GP instances:
CPU                 I7-10750H      I7-1360P
Instances GP/VST    3/2            6/3
Total instances     6              18

As you can see, with single GP instance, I can add 1 VST instance without audio glitches. That is not exactly 30%, but that’s 50%, but the added load per VST instance is not very granular, the way I did this: My old cpu can almost do 3 instances (but not really) and the new cpu can almost do 4 (also not really). The difference 3 → 4 is actually 30%. This suggests the single core performance scales rather nice with the ‘Single Thread Rating’.

The multi-core - multi GP instances comparison figures do not add up this nicely: 12066 to 19621 (~50%), but the also here the granularity muddles the figures: When I’m pushing it, the old cpu I can almost do 3 * 3 = 9 instances. On new cpu, more than 18 instances (whatever the way it is distributed) is just not possible.

TL:DR:
Although it is hard to say whether your cpu usage will drop the way you hope/expect, the figures from the comparisons are really not bad pointers to follow. The tests I did, roughly confirm the validity of the comparisons. So I think/hope it’s safe to say that figures of the comparison shouldn’t be too far off the real life figures.
I expect you will at least have a huge leap forward performance wise, especially since your old cpu was somewhat slower than mine, while your new cpu has more P cores.

To push your system to the limit, you will have use multiple GP instances, but that is not always feasible/practical/usable.

BTW: To avoid glitches and audio dropouts, on Windows you will have to make sure that GP doesn’t ‘land’ on E cores, as these are considerably slower than P cores. I’m not in the business of promoting my own stuff, but I recently wrote a VST that takes care of that.

My € 0.015 (hey, I’m Dutch :grinning:)

4 Likes