Converting system exclusive to control change

Yes in part that is what I am referencing but there would be a ‘key’ of sorts at the very bottom of the page, this page or one previous where it describes the entire SysEx string becuase what is on this page alone doesn’t give all the info you need.

That being said, this looks nearly identical to the XK-5 apendix but I am certain that the individual parameter data is likely to be different since the SKPro has more internal variables and different control surface inputs. But the fundementals seem to be the same.

My point though, or at least from my own use case, is that if you want surface controls to send and be re-injected as useful to GP messages, those are almost certainly going to be either CC messages or NRPN (groups of three CC messages where one is a constant and two are the variables) messages.

It’s rare on Hammond keyboards that the control surfaces actually send SysEx. I’ve seen this on other keyboards though.

Where I use SysEx on the XK-5 is to create a script whereby I send SysEx from a widget to control something in the sound engine (tube drive) within the XK-5 itself because I use the XK-5 as a sound source.

If you are strictly wanting to use the SKPro as a controller, you likley will not need SysEx messages.

In either case I can likely help.

You need to first build a table of what all your surface controls actually output and to do this I just open Midi Monitor in GP and document what each knob does. Start without displaying SysEx and then if you find a knob that isn’t trasnmitting any messages turn it on and see if it’s sending SysEx.

Here’s the table I built for the XK-5 for the NRPN: Same three CC values for many hardware controls... and Rig Manager - #21 by brandon

Once you have the lay of the land… you can then build a gig script (I can help) that re-injects these clusters of messages into a CC message that you can then map to a widget (I’d first organize these injected messages in rig-manager) and then assign them to parameters in the plugin.

It’s unlikley that this would be all you’d need but B3-X does have an advanced settings section where you can assign the plugin to the profile of a hammond keyboard and I am pretty sure SKPro is one of the options. In practice I have found this only works if you’re using it in stand alone mode and only so well. Assuming you are using GP for more than just this scenario, using a gig script is the way to go.

Also… some parameters, like drawbar sliders, will likley send normal CC messages not NRPN (groups of 3 messages) so be sure to figure out comprehensively what all control surface inputs send.

Lastly, on the XK-5 there are deeper menus that allow for instance the B-natural preset key for the lower manual to be ‘assigned’ so they never function as drawbars but instead send CC mesages. Given that the SKPro doesn’t have 4 sets of drawbars this probably isn’t a feature but do look over if there are internal to the SK controls that would enable features which would change the behavior of outgoing messages just so you are aware.

1 Like