Bypass and Don't Bypass in Song Variations

I couldn’t agree with this more. It’s been a huge part of my strategy to be able to have rackspaces for each song without the worry of whether the sample memory was being managed efficiently. When I do use sample based VSTs, I try to get the ones that use the smallest amount of memory to do the job

Yes, I definitely do see the logic in that.

Maybe it works for some instruments (synths, organs, electric piano, probably acoustic piano), but not others. I just got a great blues harmonica, fiddle, banjo, not sure about bass.

So, maybe you want to be aware of 1. Physical Modeling options, 2. Lower ram sample libraries, 3.Ram conscious use of variations 4. Lowering ram cache settings and Kontakt ram purging, etc. Also, newer computers (including laptops) have more ram capability (up to 128 GB).

Jeff

Try Modo Bass from IK Multimedia

3 Likes

Modo Bass is amazing. I don’t have a use for it live (yet) but it’s so fun to play and sounds amazing

Physical modelling has one extra feature (depends on a plugin).

Pianoteq, for example, supports sympathetic resonance, something not really possible with sampled pianos and has addons for physically modelled electric pianos and clavinet.

1 Like

And Pianoteq has morphing features.
And what sample based instrument never can ist fade in articulations very smooth.
A good example for such features are SWAM saxophones.

1 Like

I find the physical modelling plugins (especially Pianoteq and SWAM) to be some of the most expressive and fun to play instruments I’ve used. It seems to bridge the gap in providing a real feel to playing an acoustic instrument vs a digital recreation

1 Like

@dhj Can you say more about how this works if I were to have two instances of Pianoteq on two separate Racks but am not using predictive loading? What is still dynamically loaded or shared between them?

This is just the way operating systems work with shared libraries. The physical code is loaded only once but there is a separate data block for each instance.

Ah - I see what you are saying - I have the software engineering background to get that, but I guess I have never thought of audio plugins as dlls in that way - now I am intrigued to learn more about the way the VST/AU architecture works. Just what I need is another thing to go spend time and learn… :joy:

I do have the Arturia Piano V3 (from the V Collection 9). I guess not quite at the level of Pianoteq pianos? (Or maybe just not a versatile?..or matter of taste…)

1 Like