Blue3 v. B4II

I haven’t, but the guy playing in their promo video is killin’ it! (wanted the voiceover guy to shut up)
This isn’t the best side-by side vid out there, but does give a decent idea of the difference in tone and texture between the B-3X and Blue3.

It sounds very good, but looks to be a bit of a resource hog.

same guy with out voice over…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsosCZJ-QQ0

Very cool, I saw a few of those after i posted.
Like I said, killin’ it!:boom:

I just bought it.
WIll test today and write down some comments.
In the past I noticed that Blue3 in context of a band is a beast and you always can hear and feel it.
When you hear Blue3 standalone some others like VB3 II and Acoustic Samples seem to sound better, but together with a band Blue3 was always the winner - but this is just my feeling.

Now I tested with 3.5.0:
Seems the VST version is buggy, for example duplicate rackspace sometimes Gig Performer hangs.
AU version seems to work.
I aleady contacted IK Multimedia, will see what they say.

What physical keyboard (not VST) is he playing in the promo video?

@pianopaul, what about the effect pedals and leslie cabinet, can you use it as stand alone vst or is it built in the B3-X vst ?

It is builtin, there is no audio input in the plugin.

I think this:

Ooops… sorry. Could be confusing since there were 2 video links.
I was referring to this:

Could be this

Wow… cool looking keyboard. Thanx for the links.

Thanks. It’s a little disappointing…

I like that GGAudio includes Spin as a separate VST effect.

2 Likes

I now tested 2 days and it sounds very good.
One thing I noticed which is not implemented very well:
When you assign CC64 to control the Leslie speed with the sustain pedal you have to press and hold down to switch to fast speed and as soon as you release the speed goes down.
In Tracks Leslie this is different, here the sustain works in latch mode.
So press once, the speed goes up, press again and the speed goes down.
Anybody noticed that behaviour too?

How does it compare with Blue 3?

Cpu usage is much higher, this is mainly caused by the leslie.
The organ itself, blue3 is more flexible regarding crosstalk, velocity simulating the different drawbar timings etc.
More drawbar setting etc.
But IK Multimedia Hammond has a super leslie with different cabinets and amps and the drive of the amps is amazing.

But they forgot to latch when controlling the leslie speed.
I contacted support, will see what they say.

The VST version is buggy, they will fix it.
And VST3 has some issues with host automation and widget controls of the leslie speed.

The AU version is working fine.

2 Likes

As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been a VB3 user for many many years. After demoing VB3II and Blue3II (bummer to me that B5 can’t be demo’d) I felt it wasn’t really so much a question of one being better than the other, as they were all good, just different. But at one point I did demo Amplitube Leslie and using that with all of them absolutely made much more qualitative difference than any difference between the plugins themselves.

So I figured B-3X would be a clear winner. But after a couple of hours with the demo, I’m not positive it is. First problem for me is the cpu hit is severe. I’m running on an old laptop, i5, 8gb ram, but I run Diva in Divine mode no problem, B-3X was right on the edge.

As it’s sampled (partly?), the presets take a second or two to load. Otherwise it seemed pretty cool. I only have VB3 VI to compare it with at the moment, but I most definitely can not say it is head and shoulders above even that. B3X has quite a bit more to tweak and FX etc so it is very possible with some work and time to maybe come up with something that does in fact blow me away. But quickly dialing in similar settings didn’t have any absolute clear winner… even in terms of the Leslie, which is puzzling me the most.

It definitely is a great sim, excepting cpu hit for me… But I don’t feel it quite hit me like how I remember when using Amplitube Leslie with VB3 I and II and Blue3 II.

just following up that IK responded that they were aware of cpu issues I was having with B-3X and are working on a fix and will let me know.

1 Like