88-key controller: NI, Arturia, or ...?

Same here! KeyLab 88 MKII is my #1 controller choice but getting mixed reports on the Fatar keybed playability. I prefer weighed keys but just haven’t been able to demo the MKII. Love to receive more opinionated feedback.

1 Like

It seems they made a software update which improved the playability (at least what the guy in the following video says at 3:15). The FATAR keybed is standard and common to many controllers.

2 Likes

Anyone here using the Roland A88 MKII?
Apparently it has an upgraded keybed compared to the mkI. I found an awful lot of different opinions
on the keybed, but that’s probably the issue with keybeds: it’s a personal choice…

The MKII is a bit more expensive than the Arturia or NI, so a fair comparison may not be fair.
I am interested if someone here had a chance to compare it for instance to the Studiologic, Kawai, or Yamaha keyboards, and would be so kind to share experience (if that’s not too off topic…).
Anyone?

I have it. Got it to test with Gig Performer. It has a nice feel but no after touch. I’m planning on selling it as I have no use for it beyond those tests.

If you are talking about the Kawai VPC1, it is the MIDI piano controller I use, but it cannot be compared to any other MIDI controller here. It is really, really heavy, has no knobs or buttons and no aftertouch. Having said, it has probably the best piano keybed of the market with “real” piano hammers inside. So it is definitely not an all purpose MIDI controller. Here is what I had to do to be able to move it alone:

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you. Still love to get some hands-on but every retailer seems to be out of Black stock. Hate to return something just purchased, but Sweetwater and others have that option. Peace!

2 Likes