Widgets buttons sticking in gp3

if i open gp2 and hit my momentary widget buttons, which fly in samples, they flash on and off, as they should, and play the sample once, if i open the same thing in gp3, the buttons stay lit and dont turn off, then when i switch presets and back, the samples come flying back in, which aint cool, i sent a bug report, couple of short videos, maybe this explains what’s happening better.

When you say momentary widgets, is this with a script you have created? There are no momentary buttons in GP(2 or 3) as standard.

no, not script, thats the way they behave, i have video to prove it :slight_smile:

the widget buttons are only there to convert cc #s to trigger 2 different audio samples in my audio player.

i tried, but couldn’t post the video here, it was sent as a bug report thu

Yes - I acknowledged this as a bug. We will fix it soon. Thank you for reporting it.

sweet

Hang on - so there are momentary widgets?!?!?

If the plugin considers the parameter momentary - yes. Our file player has a parameter that is basically a command “Play from beginning”. As soon as its set to 100 - it goes back to 0. We do have a little bug in this version, but that will get fixed.

Also … if you hook up any button widget to a momentary MIDI button for example - it will behave as a momentary as well.

I did not know that!

I tried switching fron a cc to a momentery midi note, the widget still got stuck

Your PHYSICAL button must be momentary - e.g. send one value when pressed and another when released.

actually, when i send cc’s, it’s only sending one value, but it was working as momentery, not so in gp3, after my latest helix update, i can now send note on and off momentary, so i can reassign it to that

Is there a reason why, when using a momentary physical button, a piano pedal or whatever, the associated screen button widget follows a momentary behavior, and when touched on the screen, or clicked with a mouse, it follows a latched behavior. I would find more logical and usefull that a button on the screen behaves like a physical button, i.e. in momentary operation, it releases when the click is released. Currently, whatever the option, momentary or latching, on the screen there is no change, it is latching. :thinking:

The widget always follows the MIDI hardware state or the OSC state. Touching it on the screen sets the parameter it’s associated with to its max value. We need a mode or a new widget that is momentary when you touch it on the screen or just with the mouse. It’s on our list.

Question: What should happen when such a button gets attached to a latching button on your MIDI controller?

1 Like

How about adapting the ‘treat momentary as latching’ command that is currently implemented? So for momentary widget types there could be a ‘treat latching as momentary’ - this would make the widget look for the next edge (rising or falling) from the controller to trigger the widget rather than an absolute value.

Ah yes … the problem is that a momentary button is typically used in conjunction with some parameter that you want to hold down for a certain period of time and when you let go it goes back to the default value.

If you have a latching button - when do you “let go” of the down state? In other words - you press a latching button that’s connected to this new “pseudo momentary widget”, the widget goes down, but when does it go up? If you use your finger to push down on it the button would stay down while you hold your finger down. If you have a sustain pedal or a hardware momentary button - it stays down while you hold it down and pops back up when you let go.

In the case of a latching button - there is no signal when you let it go - only when you press it.

Ah yes, that is a very good point…

I am still not sure to understand well… So the current button widget in GP are thought to be only latching (there is no momentary widget button), and the momentary/latching option concerns only the physical controller and makes it possible to control the latching widget even with a momentary physical controller. So, if I understand well, the momentary behavior you get using a momentary controller is only a side effect obtained because the user didn’t check the “momentary to latching” option as he was supposed to ?

Well, with the “momentary to latching” option checked, it does it only “virtually”…

So, to benefit from both momentary and latching bi-states widgets, perhaps the idea could be to first define, in the “parameter range and control” section of a widget, if the widget is latching (default behavior) or if it is momentary (new option).
Then in the MIDI assignment section (or perhaps in the rig manager) you define what kind of controller you use to control the widget: momentary (current default), latching (current “momentary to latching”) or why not continuous (e.g for using an expression pedal or a piano sustain pedal with a bi-state widget).
I would also like to have latching widgets which optionnaly only send a unique value only on an ascending or descending front (ascending value=MAX or descending value=MIN), usefull, for example, to send a unique PC.

In this case you only consider the transitions as an action on the button.

But of course the easy situation, is when when a latching widget is controlled by a latching controller and a momentary widget by a momentary controller, but it is less fun :wink:

What I’m trying to say is that it is easy to convert a momentary hardware button to a latching one, but it is not obvious how to convert a latching button to a momentary one :slight_smile:
I am not sure that is possible because there is no signal coming from the hardware when you let go of a latching button. this will result in the “momentary widget” to behave like a latching one.

We’ll definitely have a momentary button that’s actuated using the screen touch or a mouse, but I just want to point out that when it comes to connecting that button to MIDI hardware - things are not obvious.