Widget setup for Key Latch – help me think like a gig performer pro

I suspect this is a fairly common requirement but I am struggling to set it up in a way I think is correct, and can’t find anything online.

The goal is simple. I have a sample player which I use to play drum loops while I practice. To play the loop, the sampler simply needs to receive a note-on message and to stop it needs to receive a note off-message, and the tempo is synchronised to the Gig Performer clock. I need to filter the main keyboard notes in order to stop the loop retriggering so I use the ‘Inset Piz Here’ midiConverter3 VST to convert a CC value to note-on and second instance to convert a different CC value to the same note, but off.

On my keyboard, one button generates CC46, which midiConverter3 translates to a note-on, and one button generates CC47 which midiConverter3(1) translates to the note off message. No other messages get through so the drum loop does not get re-triggered

This works but I feel the proper way to do this is to use a widget and link the widget to my keyboard, but I am struggling to figure out the correct way to do it.

Effectively I want to create a key latch, triggered by a button press (CC message)

Any thoughts or advise would be welcome - thanks

The best solution is to find some Play/Stop host automation in your plugin. That’s the regular way to do it. If it is not possible this is another solution:

Use the LGPP Midi in block in this kind of wiring :

You can filter out everything you don’t need (you should do this for any of your controller MIDI in blocks):

Then simply map a button widget to the proper Note On parameter of the LGPP MIDI in block plugin:

1 Like

This gives me exactly what I wanted to achieve, and works very elegantly - thanks for the quick reply.

In my case I set the trigger note to be outside of my main keyboard key range (C-2) so when I am playing the keyboard, the note can’t accidently be played and retrigger the sample, and in the sampler I set the sample root to be the permitted key (C-2) so it doen’t transpose.

You are welcome, but please remember, that the best way to achieve what you want to do is plugin host automation. What I have shown is only a workaround and not the best way to do it.

1 Like