Which Win10 Home or Pro

Hello,
Which windows 10 version do you recommend to use with Gig Performer (Pianoteq, Uhe Diva, Halion Sonic 3)…Home or Pro. Does it matter? If does not matter, Home is cheaper and I think consumes less memory.

With Windows 10 Home, unless I’m mistaken, you don’t have the option to turn off automatic updates. For that reason alone I would go with Windows 10 Pro.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a very strong argument. Users (not just GP users) have gotten bitten quite a few times after various Windows updates and the last thing you want to do is have Windows update just before you do a show and discover that GP (or other stuff you need) suddenly stopped working!

1 Like

There used to be a solution to control W updates on WIndows 10 Home. I say “used to be” as I haven’t tried it recently - so it may no longer work (but its worth a try) . The method was to set the Internet connection on the computer as a metered line (i.e. a chargeable line, or limited bandwidth etc) - in which case Windows would not try to automatically download large amounts of stuff without pemission. I hope its of help to someone:-

In windows 10 home, you can delay updates for 35 days.
Updating at anytime time let you delay again for 35 days.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028233/windows-10-manage-updates
It works for me with Home edition.

My idea is when I adjust my system wit Gig Performer and all the pkugins I intend to use…I want to switch off updates because if somethig works I do not need updates for it. In case I add a newer version of some plugin in the future which needs the winows update, I will do it manually.
So I want to switch off the automatic updates and also alm the popup windows with update reminders and recommendations.

you will not escape the obligation to update every 35 days with the delayed option, so you might search for an other solution if you do not want to update at all.
I assume that you do not go on the internet, which would be a bad idea without an updated protection. :worried: