What will a higher spec machine gain me?

I’m running GP on a Surface Pro 4 with an i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram. I could upgrade to a newer i7 machine with 16 gigs ram at a substantial cost. The i5 machine runs GP fine but I’ve often wondered what gains are there with higher spec machines.

There is really not much to gain unless you’re running into issues with your current machine. I guess one possible advantage would be some kind of future proofing, but by the time you may really need a better machine or that one runs into issues - the price may go down.
My 2 cents.

Thank you. In NZ the i7 Surface Pro are well over $NZ3000.00.

The increased RAM allows you to have more instruments/samples in memory. That’s especially helpful if you are running off a hard drive instead of an SSD.

Take a look at ParkControl Pro. ParkControl is free. The Pro version is $4.95, including lifetime updates.

I already own and use Park Control Pro. I saw on the Bitsun site another app called Lasso, so I bought that too. Then I had a duh! moment.
I’ve been saving and loading GP from a micro SD card on my Surface Pro mainly because of possible Win crashes and loss of work. Today I copied my GP file to drive C just to see if the new software made any difference. I was astounded! My GP file saved in 8 seconds instead of the usual 3 minutes. This is probably due to the faster times on the Surface Pro SSD, but the new software could possibly have helped too. Any comments?

Micro SD cards are designed to write continuously at anywhere from 2Mb to 10Mb per second. A hard drive writes anywhere between 80 to 160 Mb/s

SSDs start at about 200 Mb/s and these days are way faster so your experience going from SD to SSD is exactly what would be expected