Way to do inserts/returns in GP? Like ReaInsert

Is there a way in GP to route audio back to an input? Reaper has the ReaInsert plugin for this.

I’m on a Mac and wondering if there is a way to do it natively (I don’t think so) or if there is a plugin I can download or buy that will do it?

I’m not familiar with Reaper, but a quick Google says that this is absolutely the same as sending audio to a set of outputs in GP and then bringing the audio back in on a set of inputs?

So yes, completely doable and no plugin required - just link whatever plugins to your ‘send’ outputs and then bring the audio back in through the ‘return’ inputs and process it however and send it to whatever outputs you want the audio to actually come out of.

Just make sure you aren’t getting the audio into a feedback loop!

I want the audio to go into the input. I have a soundgrid setup. The CoreAudio mic device uses whatever is routed to Channel 1 and 2 (input) of the device/soundgrid network. I’m processing mic audio in GP (source chan 3) then would like to route it to inputs 1 and 2 so I can use it with as little latency as possible. Routing to outputs 1 and 2 outputs to the headphones not to the mic.

The inputs and outputs are isolated from each other so I’m not sure how I would do what you are suggesting.

You would think soundgrid would let me route from an output to an input on their patch panel but it doesn’t allow it to route from the same device (my mac) to itself.

You are typically not allowed to route outputs into inputs of the same device. Too easy to create feedback, but nothing is stopping you from using a small patch cable and doing in physically, on the device.

You may be able to do that with loopback software as well, but be careful about latency

1 Like

Ah, interesting idea. Patch physically. I’m currently using loopback to do this and the result is pretty good but I wanted to see if I could do it cleaner.

Loopback is awesome – I use it all the time. You can create an aggregate device consisting of your physical interface and as many virtual channels as you want. Then they all show up in Gig Performer so you can route.

There is a little latency but frankly I’ve never noticed it, so it presumably depends on what you’re doing.

See my blog article about it

https://www.gigperformer.com/using-loopback-to-send-audio-from-one-application-to-another

1 Like

I agree. Loopback is very definitely awesome :slight_smile:

Patch cables are on the way. Thanks for the idea!