Volume levels not zeroing

I have a number of knobs wired to the volume outs of VSTi’s and they work as expected, except when fully off, (and controller set at zero) there is still a small amount of level and they can still be heard.
It’s not just one instrument, so I doubt it is those. I’m baffled.
Any suggestions?

Hi @Tryptych could you open the Gig Performer MIDI monitor and check if the values sent by your knobs really goes to 0?

Which monitor?
The main window or the inline block?
The inline one shows keyboard note data but neither show any knob twiddling or CC data.

Do you really control the volume in the plugin itself?
It would be better to use the “Gain and Balance” Plugin.
Just route the out of your VST pluigin to the “Gain and Balance” Plugin and use a widget to control this.

Look for “MIDI monitor” in the Gig Performer menus.

And @pianopaul is right :wink:

Ah!! Thanks. I have only spent a day on the demo version, so I haven’t sussed all the subtleties.
That would make life easier.
Still, it is a bit odd as I tried three different VSTi’s and they all had residual output, but no matter, I guess it’s academic! Many thanks.

Just as a matter of interest, is it worth using the Gain/Balance function to control a wet/dry effects mix, rather than the plugin itself?

Yes, absolutely!

Don’t forget that there are build in audio mixer plugins as well that can work on mono and stereo signals and route thing where you want them.

djogon: Yes, thanks, I just discovered that.
I have a setup with a lot of instruments in Kontakt, and it was very useful.
Has anyone else worked with multiple outs on Kontakt?
It seems the outputs don’t update to match the plugin.
I guess that’s probably another thread.

Changing the volume in Kontakt should work just as well. What do you mean by

You have to assign a host automation id to the volume of a loaded instrument in Kontakt.
Then you can just assign a widget to control the volume.

I don’t seem to be able to view that video.
Do you have another link?

Try this:

I got your video thanks. It doesn’t show on here because it’s a MOV.
The YouTube is unavailable because it’s marked as private.

Anyhow, I saw it, but that’s not the problem I am talking about.
When you drop the Kontakt plugin into GP it has something like 32 outputs, all with their original labels.
(Stereo out, Auxiliary 1-5 and the rest as unassigned mono.)
You can configure the output mixer in Kontakt to your own settings and label the outputs.
So I might have three stereo pairs with “strings”, “piano” and “pad”.
But you have to load the empty Kontakt plugin and then load the instruments or multi patch, at which point it reconfigures to your mixer settings. However, GP does not reflect that and they are still “Output 1/2” etc.

Scratch that. It seems if you close GP with the Kontakt Multi installed and then reopen it, the output labels are updated to reflect the Kontakt mixer labels.

A future version of Gig Performer will have the ability to hide unused inputs and outputs, making the block smaller

Hmmm, when a plugin is instantiated, we get the information about the inputs and outputs. However, I’m not sure if we are able to get a notification that the names changed, which is why the new names don’t show up until a restart but I’m going to put this in our tracking system as something to look into as time permits — not a high priority item but good to know about.

It’s not something that is generally a problem, but with Kontakt having such a massive I/O, it can get complicated. No matter though, so long as you close and reopen GP after you have brought in all your Kontakt instruments. It’s a simple workaround.

Of course, but if it turns out there’s an API call that we missed that would notify us when such things changes, we might as well leverage it. Here may be other workarounds as well.

You can actually limit the number of visible pins right now - just go to Prefernces and adjust the maximum number of visible pins/channels. The setting is global, but we will have a per-block option at some point as well.

Yes, I know about that, my point was, sometimes I use a lot of those outputs, but not having them with their labels can be really difficult to route all the wiring.