Variations not working as expected

I have tried to setup some variations for my organ rackspace and discovered that the change from one variation to another always muted the notes played.

After some test I discovered that the “display” of the transpose value from the midi in block was the root cause for the problem. I display the value via a text widget - there is no change of the transpose parameter via a widget.

I have also the Min and the Max note displayed via a text widget without any problem.

It looks like the display of the transpose parameter is different to the display of the Min / Max Note value.

I have added my original Organ Rackspace and a simplified Rackspace with display of Transpose and variation change not working and a same rackspace without display of Transpose and variation change working.

VariationTest.gig (148.4 KB)

I cannot reproduce
Selecte Rackspace “Variation Test”
Selected Variation “Base V1”
Played a note and did not release
Switched tio Varation “Variation 1” (by mouse click) => Note was not muted.

Same test I made with the other rackspaces, no issue.

strange !!

Are you on Mac or Windows ?

I have setup the simplified Rackspace to ensure that I have not done skript mistake.

Have you tried these as well and are they working ?

I am on Mac

Your script is buggy because PLUGIN_7 does not exist in the rackspace.
It is called Plugin_7 and not PLUGIN_7

Thanks for the hint related to Plugin_7 vs PLUGIN_7.

Fixed it but it did not help … still the problem that the notes are muted

The two other rackspaces should not contain any script. And I have the same problem there. TestingRig Bad will mute the notes and TestingRig Good the note are still on and the sound changes to the new variation

As I said, it is working at my Mac.
I used GP 3.8.1 (new version) .
What are you using?

I’m still on 3.8.0 … and on MAC … will try 3.8.1 and feedback the result …
thanks so far for the help and again the minimal latency for a feedback / answer. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Update to 3.8.1 done … no change. Switching to another variation will also mute the played notes. :unamused:

The both simplified Rackspaces (Bad vs Good) are identical expect the display of the transpose parameter … why behave they different ?

@pianopaul : have you used the B3-X or a different organ?

I have set up another clean new gig with the Collab B3 and there are no problems … then I have changed to B3X as well as to Arturia B3 and it is not working. If I remove the display of the transpose … its working …

:sob:

Are you switching variations within the same rackspaces?
What happens when you delete the script?

Yes it is within the same Rackspace.

The simplified Test Rackspaces have no scripts… they have only a midi in and organ and the display of the Min / Max Note and the transpose as well as one or two Drawbar to change the sound … that’s all

Check Ignore variations In the BAD rackspace

When you do not ignore variations then with every variation switch the tranpose is set.
Yes it is set from 0 to 0, but the note off message is sent.
And this requires note off message because to avoid hanging notes.

1 Like

:wave:t2: :wave:t2: :wave:t2: :wave:t2: :wave:t2:

:+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Works … Big Thanks

I had not expected that the DISPLAY of a parameter will impact the handling of this parameter within the VST. The display of Min / Max notes are not impacting the VST at all … I assume

again Thanks

It has nothing to do with the VST.
With a transpose a All Notes Off message is sent from the MIDI In Plugin.
And as transpose is mapped to the text widget the transpose is set with each change of the variation.
Except Ignore Variations is set.

one other remark:
i have checked my script files and always used Plugin_# in the Backview and PLUGIN_# in the Script … Compliation without mistakes… and it works …

looks like GP ignores differences as long as the characters are the same

That is true now but not guaranteed forever – I would encourage you to make sure you use the same case.

1 Like

you are absolute right … I fully agree due to my IT / SW background. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes