Using variations to change presets of a plugin (TX16Wx-Sampler)

Hi guys,

I am happy about the new setlist function in GP3. Now I can easily assign my favorite Moogsound to multiple songs. But there’s one thing I haven’t been able to do yet. I also don’t know if this is possible at all (or I’m too stupid).

I only use the TX16Wx sampler in parts of some songs. And I would like to create a single rackspace for it. The individual variations in this rackspace should then contain the presets of the respective song, which I have already created in the sampler. So actually only a preset change, which is done by the variation. Is that possible and if so, how?

Many greetings from Germany, Chris

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

You can put your presets on different midi channels, if the sampler is multitimbral, and then bypass/unbypass midi in-blocks for these channels per variation.

Take a look at this:

Widget to change programs/bank in Kontakt?

In Kontakt this is very easy to do, maybe TX16Wx has similar features?

1 Like

Hi pianopaul,

that’s exactly what I want. I tried this way but it doesn’t work. I’m not an expert, but I think there’s no similar features in TX16Wx. In the TX16Wx, I can load the individual songs (called a program in the TX manual) into each other like in a rack. Each song is now assigned to a Midi channel. I think this is not the same as a bank channel in Kontakt. The widget should change the Midi channel. I think it’s not the same and not possible.

Just create multiple rackspaces, each for every preset. That is the recommended way which also gives you the benefit of using ‘predictive loading’ and seamless switching between the sounds.
Variations (in comparison to rackspaces) do not store the preset of the underlying VST but only the state/condition of the widgets that are used on the rackspace panel, therefore you should make one rackspace per sound.

1 Like

Thank you schamass,

so keep going the good old way. :slight_smile: That’s how I’ve currently implemented it. With the new function in GP3 I was able to clean up the rackspaces a bit. So I had the idea to put all rackspaces of the sampler into one. Also, because I thought that this would consume less CPU if the sampler only had to be loaded once - but I have no idea about that - so it can also be nonsense of me :D.

The solution by pianopaul with Kontakt still has its charm. But I don’t own it and won’t buy it either. But maybe someone still has an idea how to do this with the TX16Wx. I will continue to try it.

That’s easy — create a widget, associate it with your Midi In Block and (assuming your MIDI keyboard is on MIDI channel 1) map it to the Channel1Output parameter.
Then on each variation, set the widget to a different MIDI channel.

Note however, there’s a nasty downside to this approach - if you are holding notes down and then you switch MIDI channel, you’ll get stuck notes.

@dhj
Oh - that sounds really easy. i will try this later.

thanks for this hint. Whether this can become a problem, the practice must show.

Well, this is one of the reasons to use different rackspaces for each sound, then the problem doesn’t exist. Things like changing channels like this are there for “legacy” purposes - i.e, in some older hosts, this was the only way to do this kind of thing.

Related issue Duplicated rackspace that differs only in the preset loaded into a plugin