Using Keytar

Yes thanks, it is good to think about it. Until now I only own a « wired » Roland Axis, so I couldn’t move much with it. The only time I could really move freely using it « wirelessly » was when using it for a tv show… in playback :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Currently, I don’t play in a band anymore, so I will have time to experiment with the AX-Edge. :sunglasses:

I would be curious to know how you installed the MidiBeam on the AX-Edge?

I may be misunderstanding your question, but the Midibeam is just like any other control knob or slider! In my case, I just put a widget to control (eg) filter cutoff, or dry/wet overdrive fx knob, and midi learn it to the beam!
C’est tout!

It doesn’t matter, I misunderstood your answer😜 And it is true!
The MidiBeam is a MIDI wireless interface. So, I suppose there are two units, one one the Keytar and another on the computer. My question was regarding the unit on the keytar side. How is it physically attached to the AX-edge? (it has to be hidden, secured, and shouldn’t ruin the AX-edge with some kind of glue…).

The midi transmiter is very small, so I could use a hook-and-loop tape to conntect the transmitter on the front side right of the midi out of the ax edge.
So when you look at it when I am playing maybe you see 2cm of the connected black midi cable

OK, I see. Is there a contraindication to buying a used v1 version, rather than a v2?

I would go for the red, no matter if used or not :crazy_face:

Oh, was that what you meant!
I got mixed up with the d-beam… My bad!
Like Paul stated: it is easily attached. Panda supplies a small strip of velcro to stick the unit. That’s it.
Only I connected it to the back of the keytar (I have the predecessor to the Axe edge). Once during rehearsal, I swung the keytar over my shoulder ready for some synthshredding, but the on/off button hit my leg, switched all midi off, and there I was, center stage with no sound :scream:

Besides that, it easily fits

I think you are talking from the black AX-edge, because mine is white but the blade is also red… even if I am color blind :star_struck:

Well, I was talking from the MidiBeam v1 vs the MidiBeam v2. Is there a contraindication to buying a used v1 version, rather than a v2?

That’s exactly the kind of thing I was afraid of, and why I asked for the best location for the MidiBeam on an AX-edge.

So, finally this is the way I installed the MIDI beam transmitter, such that it cannot be seen while playing, but is not at a risky location.

Now, I am wondering if I could make any use of the Roland zen-core compatibility of the ax-edge. Is it necessary to have a Roland cloud submission for this? What does it really bring? This is not clear to me… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

How did you change the MIDI cable?

Looking sharp. I’m curious how it’s working for you in a live gig :sunglasses:

I cut the original connector, bought an angled midi cable that I cut too, soldered them together with heat shrink tubes. That‘s it.