Upgrading from 20H2 to 21H2 - De-activate and Re-activate Plugins and GP

It’s that awful time where I need to do a feature update for Windows 10 which installs a new version of the OS. This time I’m going from 20H2 to 21H2.

When a new version of the OS is installed this can cause registered plugins to de-activate because they detect they are on a “new” system. To avoid this problem for affected plugins one has to de-activate the licenses, perform the Windows OS upgrade, and then re-activate the licenses.

I know I have to perform this deactivate/reactivate procedure with Gig Performer and the GSi VB3-II plugin.

Does anyone know if any of the following plugins are affected by this upgrade issue?

1. Plugins using iLok (DB-33, Velvet, Eighty-Eight)
  2. XLN Audio (Addictive Drums 2, Addictive Keys)
  3. Native Instruments
  4. Overloud (BReverb2, TH3)
  5. Waves

Last time I forgot about VB3-II and I had to get the company to reset my licenses.

Thanks…

On Mac when I last time updated the OS from Catalina to Big Sur no NI plugin or plugins using iLok needed to be authorized again.

I updated last week on 2 windows machines from 21H1 to 21H2 with no problem at all.
I did not deactivate anything, having been filled in before by user friends.
It concerns GP, different iLok plugins or else etc.

In the worst case, when an update deactivates programs and plugins, you just have to use the recovery module to go back to the previous version, deactivate the programs and plugins, restart the update and reactivate everything. It may be tedious but it takes less than half an hour.

Glad I put off the upgrade until after my gigs were done. The upgrade and reactivation of Gig Performer and the VB3-II plugin were successful. No other plugins needed reactivation.
The unexpected problem was with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation audio interface. Windows marked the drivers as suspect and the audio interface was unrecognized. Version 3.6.0 1822.
Ran uninstall, rebooted, and reinstall fixed the issue. Same version of the driver.
After the upgrade I also had to redisable the motherboard audio drivers (Realtek, NVIDIA).

1 Like