Upgrade my Macbook Pro advice needed

Do you try to explain that a Gig Files which size exceeds the amount of available RAM is better handled in a M1 Mac?

Have you really perceived it like that ?

you´ve not sayed anything about how much RAM “your GIg” was taking.
you were refering to “problems”.
i answered based on that. …coming from my experiences “on my computers”.
btw. same, as the OP wants to look at :wink:

Do you have it on the radar that the M1/M2 macs can “outsource” Data to the SSD ?
…it makes that whole “juggling with plain numbers” a bit …harder to handle. :wink:

Look, i´m NOT here to carry out battles.
I just tryed to make the point, that apple silicon is dealing with the data in RAM differently.
I just tryed to give a perspective, trying to help.

And again: i´m NOT telling anybody they SHOULD take 16GB of RAM by any means.
Thats not what i´m doing here !

But fact is not all M1macs allow for more than 16GB of RAM !
so, if it HAS ro be more than 16GB of RAM, many of the M1models are off the table !
many of those are the ones to be had now on the 2nd hand market for very good prices.
…so, the RAM question -vs. newer macs- 16GB vs. 32GB, creates here sort of a loop, vs. the actual costs.

Folks who ask such questions as the OP, have to decide on money.
and in ALL seriousness, for many of us, …comes the money bevore the RAM !
Thats how live is !

But let me bring this point to the table:
To me, RAM is not just like it was a physical container with a specific size, and now you have to fill that container up with a certain amount of liquids.
how could a 1L bottle hold 1.5L of water ? …how should that work ?

But: is it this way ?
my own persepctive on this is different !

I would claim, its all a fluid process.
in my opinion, there is not just “that amount X” of data,
that HAS to go into the RAM vessel, having size Y.
in my opinion, there is much more to it…its fluid.

look David, my ansers were made vs. this, trying to help on this. i´m finally using the exactly same sort of computer, beeing in question here:

As a GP user, I was just giving my own experience about the need for memory in order to nuance your somewhat more pronounced opinions. I then answered your questions and interacted with your answers. Your opinion and advice are interesting, but they are not the only ones worth mentioning here. In the free world, an “adversarial” discussion does not mean a “battle”. I suggest that we continue the discussion without assuming that those who have a different experience than you are looking for a battle. And I can see that you are not looking for a battle either. :wink:

1 Like