Two identical Keyboards, OSX is changing devices

Hallo,
ich betreibe den GP auf einem MacBook Pro und habe dort über einen USB-Hub zwei Roland A-800 Pro angeschlossen (USB powered), sowie direkt am Mac ein Presonus Studio 26c.
Im Proberaum ist ein identischer Aufbau, lediglich die Keyboards und den MacBook nehme ich (aus Kostengründen) mit dorthin.

Leider kommt es immer mal wieder dazu, dass das OSX beim Booten die beiden Keyboards als neue Geräte ID erkennt und sie somit auch als neue Devices in GP angezeigt und verarbeitet werden.
Damit sind dann sämtliche Zuordnungen der Widges zu Controllern unbrauchbar.

Die reinen Tastaturen konnte ich durch unterschliedliche MIDI-Kanäle über MIDI IN Omni fest zusortieren, da dort von GP kein fester Device angesprochen wird, sondern lediglich MIDI-Kanäle.
Diese Funktion (quasi Device-frei) gibt es aber weder bei den Widges, noch bei den globalen Funktionen.
Ich weiss, dass mein Problem ein sehr spezielles ist, da wahrscheinlich kaum jemand 2 identische Keyboards über USB laufen hat, aber irgendwie kann ich mich auch nicht damit abfinden, ein neues Masterkeyboard kaufen zu müssen, um auf der sicheren Seite zu sein.

Danke für die Hilfe

Hi there,
I run the GP on a MacBook Pro and have two Roland A-800 Pros connected via a USB hub (USB powered), as well as a Presonus Studio 26c directly on the Mac.
There is an identical set-up in the rehearsal room, I only take the keyboards and the MacBook with me (for reasons of cost).

Unfortunately, it happens every now and then that the OSX recognizes the two keyboards as new device IDs when booting and they are thus also displayed and processed as new devices in GP.
This means that all assignments of the widgets to controllers are then unusable.

I was able to sort the pure keyboards through different MIDI channels via MIDI IN Omni, since GP does not address a fixed device there, only MIDI channels.
This function (quasi device-free) does not exist in the widges or in the global functions.
I know that my problem is a very special one, as hardly anyone has 2 identical keyboards running via USB, but somehow I can’t come to terms with having to buy a new master keyboard to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the help

Best you use the Rig Manager.
Work with MIDI Device Alias and in such a case you can easily assign the physical device to your logical device used in the rackspaces

With the learn function it is very easy:
Select your MIDI Device Alias, go into learn mode and just press a key on the keyboard.

This and more is shown here

1 Like

Actually, I use three Roland A800 Pros in my touring rig and in fact the Rig Manager was originally created to precisely solve the problem I was having and which you are now having.

The problem is that because those controllers are identical (and have identical USB identifiers), the order in which they are seen by the computer can vary. By defining aliases (names0 in the Rig Manager for each of those controllers, you can use the alias names in your rackspaces.

Then, if the controllers do not appear properly when you boot, you can simply open the rig manager and relearn the actual devices.

Tatsächlich verwende ich drei Roland A800 Pros in meinem Touring-Rig und tatsächlich wurde der Rig Manager ursprünglich entwickelt, um genau das Problem zu lösen, das ich hatte und das Sie jetzt haben.

Das Problem besteht darin, dass die Reihenfolge, in der sie vom Computer angezeigt werden, variieren kann, da diese Controller identisch sind (und identische USB-Kennungen haben). Indem Sie Aliasnamen (names0 im Rig Manager für jeden dieser Controller) definieren, können Sie die Aliasnamen in Ihren Rackspaces verwenden.

Wenn die Controller beim Booten nicht richtig angezeigt werden, können Sie einfach den Rig-Manager öffnen und die tatsächlichen Geräte neu lernen.

3 Likes

The Rig Manager is amazing!

I have the same problem when connecting 2 Yamaha Montage’s (1 at home and 1 in the touring setup). GP sees the Montage on stage as a different montage then the montage at home. I created a Midi Device Alias called MONTAGE, so I can associate the right hardware to this alias.

Question: I also use a midi out block to the montage. I can’t select the alias in the midi out block device. Im a doing something wrong?

Thanx!

Unfortunately, the Rig Manager doesn’t currently support MIDI Out devices — it’s on our list. When we implemented it, we were focused on handling MIDI controllers (which of course generally don’t need outputs)