Trouble disabling IO channels and audio glitches

Having two problems currently using a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10, MOTU Ultralite MKIII hybrid (using USB), and GP.

The first is that when I deselect IO channels in the audio preferences, after a few seconds the channels re-enable themselves, before I have a chance to save my preferences (unless I am very fast, and I can only unselect a few to have time to save prefs before they reneable).

The other is that I am getting audio glitches and dropouts with a file that has about 7 VSTs loaded. No panel config at all, just a MIDI in to the VST and then out on 2 channels plus headphones.

I am going to try troubleshooting today by seeing if the same issues occur with Roland DUO Capture and TRI Capture USB soundcards, and I will also try the MOTU directly to the USB port of the Surface, using a MIDI chain instead of USB-MIDI adapters for my Keyboard and foot pedal, since otherwise I have to put all three through a USB hub and it may be causing the issue.

But I think the channel de-selection issue is unrelated, aside from the fact that enabling all these channels may be confusing too much USB bandwidth, and I am not using them anyway so would rather not have these channels appear in the back end view with the MOTU anyway.

I’d rather use the MOTU as it is a much better card for gigging if I can get this setup more stable.

What version of GP are you running?

It’s 1.6.6 I believe. As an update, with those channels all disabled so far the audio seems to not be dropping out. I managed to disable the channels I didn’t need and save the patch and it’s sticking now.

A new problem however - once I’ve mapped only 3 controls for my first patch (Kontakt 5 running Scarbee Mk1, I’ve mapped the three reverb controls available), it is extremely slow to load that patch, and the audio is totally dead during the wait. Switching to my 2nd patch with Scarbee A-200 and no front panel controls assigned is instant, as are all other 5 patches (4 running Omnisphere, 1 running Vintage Organs).

Is the Mac version more stable at the moment? I have a Macbook Pro as well but it is older, has less SSD disk space and might not fit all my libraries. I will switch over if I must as I bought both versions, and need to get my setup stable asap to prep for some July gigs.

PS at some point a tutorial specific to mapping with Kontakt would be helpful, I was really confused when instead of parameters I just saw #000 to #511 in the MIDI learn area. It turns out you need to go to the Auto panel in Kontakt and then drag these numbers onto the controls you want to map. I wonder if this indirect connection has anything to do with the slow loading. I guess I’ll try mapping some parameters in Omnisphere and see if the problem persists there as well.

One final update for today, I will try the same setup in Mac next to see if it’s specific to the Windows version. I am a software developer too so want to give you the best info I can.

The magic number for this issue seems to be three widgets. If there are only two widgets mapped there is no problem, but with 3 there is a long wait with no audio at all and then a little burp of sound as the patch loads, as though there were cued MIDI note on and off commands that finally get through and trigger the notes for less than a second.

Regarding mapping to Kontakt, you should not be using MIDI Automation at all, you should be using their host automation. You still have to drag parameter numbers to controls but once you’ve done that, you can use the standard LEARN feature in Gig Performer (which is described in the Getting Started document on our support page)

/support.html

Number of widgets has no impact on performance. The only impact on performance is the actual audio processing and the amount of ram your plugins use. If your tablet is running out of ram it will impact your overall performance.
The only other consideration might be the buffer size and sample rate.