Trigger the Patch Persist function from within GP?

Hi-

I am trying to use the “patch persist” function in what is perhaps an unintended way - I want a signal generator to continuously send either a sine wave or white noise out of one of the outputs of an attached interface.

I have set up one Rackspace with the signal generator and want this to persist whilst the songs/rackspaces are recalled.

I have tried setting it up with a “widget” to send a sustain pedal “on” message to the midi stream into the tone generator, but this doesn’t work. But if I have a physical damper/sustain pedal attached to a keyboard and feed this to the signal generator it does work.

Does the “Patch Persist” function only respond to sustain pedal inputs (or held notes) from a real/external midi device? Or is there any way to trigger the Patch Persist internally, within Gig Performer?

(The signal generator will feed an automatic switching DI box or ideally my iConnectivity playAudio12 interface (so long as it hears the tone, it will stay with the “main” rig, if this is interrupted (or varies in level too much) it automatically switched to the “spare” rig.))

I have tried setting up a dummy set list with a tone generator in each Rackspace, but there are variations in level when changing Rackspaces which falsely trigger the switch to the backup rig.

Many thanks
D

Why not use a 2nd instance of Gig Performer with just that signal generator?

Thanks for your input @pianopaul . I had though along similar lines, using a standalone signal generator to feed this signal. But I figured if the “main” instance of Gig Performer were to “freeze” or crash, if the signal greater is in a separate app, (or a 2nd instance of GP) it may well continue - and therefore it would not switch to the back up rig. (It would switch in certain circumstances, like a crash of the OS, a cable malfunction, or if someone stole the laptop while I wasn’t looking!) So its a partial solution, but certainly worth considering.

Are you on Mac?

Try this

NoiseGenerator.gig (17.0 KB)

The trick is to use virtual MIDI, in this case IAC on Mac-
On Windows there are similar solutions.

In the 1st Rackspace a Widget sends a C3 to the virtual Midi and Gig performer gets this note via the virtual midi In.

Therefore patch persist is working as it should.

Yes, on a Mac.

I just tried it with the 2nd instance. works perfectly, no false triggers. I’d still prefer to have it all in one instance, but thats the best solution yet. Thank you.
D

Try my gig I uploaded :wink:

Oh cool. I’ll try that

You have to enable IAC input and output in the options for midi ports.

Thanks for your help with this - I have the IAC input and output enabled, but it doesn’t work at this end - maybe I’d need the rig manager setting you are using? I get “no midi in assignment yet” in the widget edit window.

No, what happens when you press the widget in the 1st rackspace?

I didn’t have the organ plugin in your file, so I swapped that for a plugin I do have. & I had to re-assign some midi ins and outs and then it started working - so - when I press the widget, it starts playing the organ note. when I change Rackspace it persists. change to the third Rackspace it still persists. Very good! But when I go back to the original Rackspace (the one with a widget) it stops. I press the widget and there is a brief blip of organ noise and then silence. Widget goes to the off state. Press the Widget again and the organ starts, & I can switch between Rackspaces again, as before, until I recall the original Rackspace, when it stops again.
So, this is a great solution for me (apart from stopping when the original Rackspace is recalled) - and thanks again! But I hadn’t anticipated that resolving this would require anything so complex as the GPScript in your gig though!

Patch persist is working with incoming midi notes or sustain messages from the physical or virtual midi in devices.
For your use case this simple GP script and IAC is the solution.
And believe me it is worth to learn GP script.