Sustain pedal and reason 11 latch issues

I can be that annoying fellow with real technical questions for all GP-ians.
Our live set up is quite sophisticated , so love to demonstrate it in time.
Well, it does all hinge around GP ( x2 ) now ! :upside_down_face:

We are looking forward for this here :wink:

Well, weā€™re all interested in helping each other. If anybody runs into a technical issue that they canā€™t solve (i.e, not documented and not already answered in an existing topic), we encourage them to ask their question here and other users will generally be glad to help.

As this is a community forum, the only thing we ask is that, in return, if you notice somebody else asking a question to which you know the answer, please share it with the community.

Hi GP-ians,
OK, as you know, the sustain pedal issue. It is still an issue.
Well I have now brought my live PC machine home today.
Adleast I can sort out issues with you guys.
First let me start by saying unfortunately, the sustain issue is definately in version 3.8.0 also.
I just donā€™t think i tested the sustain long enough or soā€¦
So now, I have plenty more info to give you guys, I have Reason version : 11.3.8 d1 (most recent too)
I noticed the sustain issue about 10 minutes after playing this patch. (interesting enough )
I 100 % checked the midi monitor, it shows correctly , sustain CC64 ON, sustain CC64, OFF ,
so I know for sure it is NOT a physical faulty unit.
This sustain issue, it is very intermittant , it will latch after a press, maybe it wont. ( scratching my head)
I donā€™t think I noticed this properly just until recently. (as commenced working on our band set again )
So, I even stripped back my rack spaces so I have only 1 patch in it , and still does this.
I attached the gig file here.
sustain issue 3-8-0.gig (348.4 KB)

Breaking News.
Ah, interesting, I loaded reaper on the same machine this time , and loaded reason vst inside reaper. Armed for live play.
Well, wellā€¦ Same issue , bad sustain issues !!! Mmmmmmm ! Right !
Ok so that tells me itā€™s not your end. We are getting somewhere !
Time to email propellerhead guys !
Itā€™s interesting because reason as stand alone , does not have this issue, yet inside a host it does !
Ok. Time to load 3.8.1 back !
Sorry to waste your time ā€¦
Will start another thread regarding OSC nowā€¦

So I tried your gigfile on my Mac and sustain didnā€™t work for me either even though it seemed to be coming through fine. However, I realized rather quickly, that my Sustain Pedal (because of how it was connected) was sending CC messages on channel 16 rather than on channel 1 and your MidiIn Block is blocking all incoming MIDI channels except 1.

When I corrected my system so that Sustain messages were sent on channel 1, sustain worked perfectly fine with your gig file.

I figured it was just worth checking in case thatā€™s an issue.

If I understand the issue of @neovich, it is not that he has no sustain, but rather than his sustain becomes latching while it is supposed to be momentary.

Maybe ā€“ but originally he said it worked on 3.8 but not on 3.81 and now it apparently doesnā€™t work on either (on his system) so Iā€™m just trying to cover all possibilities

I did say that the sustain was not working on 3.8.1 and then tried it properly on 3.8.0 and it actually did not work also. but as mentioned, it is not GP now, my focus is on reason used, only as a VST , being the issue here now.
I have raised this issue with Propellerhead guys. So we will see what happens.
Trouble with Prop guys, they take soooo long to get back to you. I am not holding my breath.

Soā€¦ I bought VST3i ,addictive piano ( nice piano too ! ) . loaded it into GP.
And the sustain worked perfectly. Tried it for a good hour. No fault.
but what was interesting , was when I parallel reason vst into the same midi in, as the addictive piano vst, the reason sustain plays up and yet the addictive piano is 100 % correct.
So as mentioned, it is all in the VST with reason . I tried 4 versions of reason, dating back 6 months
all did the same thing. ( only on windows pro 10 machine )
But as mentioned, my windows 7 machine with exact versions of reason using GP as host , the sustain
absolutely worked ok. go figure . No issues.
So a combination of windows Pro 10 ( I think its version 20H2 ) and the reason vst is bad.

Just for your info, my sustain is sent on chn 1 only. ( no issue with filtering out midi channels )
Will keep posted what is going on when propellerhead guys get back to me.

Will be interesting exceptā€¦how come it works fine on our machines? I donā€™t know if any other users have tested your gigfile but we tried on both Mac and Windows and sustain pedal worked fine on both.

Strange

I tried his gigfile on Windows 10 Pro and everything works great.

By the way, Iā€™m really liking the sounds in Reason. It seems to be not much of a CPU hog either. Thanks @neovich for steering me to this plugin.

I always loved the reason stuff but never really used it because the DAW part didnā€™t work for me. Itā€™s very interesting that they finally made a VST plugin of their system

1 Like

Contrary to my earlier belief, it seems that Reason plugin can not be used as a midi player in GP.
Can anybody confirm whether it is true or not?

Honestly, I donā€™t bother with the reason sequencer. To cumbersome to use . Cant create your own shortcuts .
I only use it as a plug in instrument these days. Mainly in reaper , when doing recordings that is.

I assure you, the problem is with reason vst plug in (suite actually ). As mentioned. maybe its the fact that i have a whole lot of REs installed and you guys dont.
I know for sure , you guys who have just installed reason straight of the bat , would have none of the REs installed
with nothing but the standard sounds.
wonder what machines you guys are using too , with window pro 10 that works so wel ?.
The PC I am using is Ryzen 3750H 35 Watt version. It is an amazingly tiny and powerful machine.for what it is.
Anyways, good to see people trying GP with reason ( i think personally is the ultimate ! ;=)

I use an older ASUS gaming laptop with IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz. Not sure how that compares, but it works for me fairly well.

I use a more older Lenovo laptop with only Intel i5-3320M @ 2.60GHzā€¦ with optimized Win10 Pro N .
It works fine for me at home and on live.

1 Like

Whats interesting is that the machines mentioned are older machines. So it makes me wonder
if at all hardware related.
Well , anyway, I have raised an issue with reason propellerhead guys.
still waiting for a reply . they might get back to me next year ;-(
I will get back to this thread and post when info is at hand.
Knowing them, they will sneak it into their next little update fix and no one will ever know it happened.
lol.

2 Likes

Something very interesting I have found now, if you notice in my previous pic from the other week, there are 2 midi input sources.
As I have 2 keyboards coming in. I noticed when I removed that second midi input, the sustain note issues
actually dissappeared. Mmmmm. So it actually could of been some double up on sustain inof, also, even though I could not here a phase double up on my sounds. Either way, I was able to resolve my sustain issue now !!! It is rather strange my addictive piano sustain worked but reason sustain still did not function correctly with the 2 midi inputs chained up.
Anyways, this problem must be very unique to reason then.

Yes, I would never upgrade before a gig, that is just asking for trouble ! Just reminder, the above lost time I had was regarding rehersals.
Although it worries me that windows 10 wants to constantly update on my PCs.