Suggestion for widget mapping

The list of possible parameters for plugin mapping can be quite long, numbering int he hundreds. The fixed size list, showing five parameters at a time, can be quite tedious to work with and discourages looking for just the right parameter. Either making the Properties/Mapping separator movable to display a bigger list at the expense of the available panel space or the ability to open a separate window to navigate the parameters would be useful.

I always press the button learn and move the control in the plugin itself.
But a resizable list would be good as well.

I hardly ever use the list and yes > learn > move the knobs/slider/button on the plugin even with GP native Audio mixer - Gain Control etc…

I’ll put this suggestion on our tracking system but like everyone else, I just use the LEARN mechanism and I never really look at those parameters. Is there a reason you’re not wanting to use the LEARN mechanism ?

I’ve had at least one case where it didn’t respond, though I don’t recall the specifics. I think that sometimes there are parameters that are exposed in the list that are not apparent in the GUI… particularly some of the NI plugins which can be a little inscrutable. I’ll make a concerted effort to change my approach and also look for specific instances where the Learn method doesn’t work and see if anyone has a suggestion.

Okay… one use case is controlling an external synth using CC. I’m not sure how it would work in a 1:1 mapping of synth to MIDI port, but in my case, I have a Supernova coming in on Ch14 of the S90ES-1 USB MIDI port. GP enumerates the parameter names from the S90 and does not respond to knob turns on the SN2. Perhaps if the parameter enumeration worked, the learn method would too. Here’s how GP enumerates the parameters:

Shutting down GP and starting up Forte (no other changes), Forte enumerates the MIDI parameters on Ch14 of the S90ES-1 port in agreement with those in the SN2 manual:

I confirmed that using the Train button in Forte does learn the incoming MIDI from an arbitrarily chosen knob.

Maybe if I could find a compelling software substitute for my Supernova I wouldn’t care about this :wink:

Oh, now I understand — basically Forte “knows” about various hardware synth configurations. We don’t.

Thanks for the explanation, that’s useful.

I think we got it now. We got thrown off by your references to NI plugins and huge number of parameters…
As many of us pointed out - you’d almost always use the LEARN button, then move the parameter you want within the plugin. For the MIDI Out plugin however - you’d like us to try to listen to the changes in your external synth and map that automatically to the appropriate parameter.

I’ve entered a feature request into our bug tracking system for this so we will have it at some point. It has a low priority, but we’ll get to it eventually.