Struggles with Scaling a Toggle Switch Widget

Yes, exactly

1 Like

As I know this is not directly possible.

Yes I guess it would be bad design to have plugins directly accessing other plugins. I suppose it is set up that way on purpose to prevent nasty side effects.

The thing nice about scriptlets is they may be easier to share but they do have their limitations.

It could be that you don’t need scripting. I love GPScript, but it is always better not to use it when not absolutely necessary.

All plugin parameters range from 0.0 to 1.0 that’s a standard. Only MIDI values range from 0 to 127. So, either you are using host automation with parameter ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 or you are using MIDI control with values ranging from 0 to 127.

Could we please check the two following points?

• could you please open the GP Global Midi Monitor in the GP Window menu and act on the MIDI controller you want to use for controlling the widget?
  • could you please make a screenshot of the GP window when you are in the Widget properties (value tab) of the widget you mapped to the B3X parameter you want to control.

Thanks

I tested the rackspace swith I sent @wd8dky with my controller only sending MIDI value of 0 and 1 and the B-3V plugin. It should work if he define his widget handle and MIDI Device Alias correctly.

Steve

What I would like to know is do we really need a script for this. I love GPScript, but the less, the better. :wink:

Well I think maybe so since his Numa Organ only sends MIDI values of 0 and 1 instead of 0 and 127. We need something to scale from 0-127 to 0-1.

Steve

It is not a Numa Organ but a Numa Compact, but whatever, that’s something I have never seen before, that’s why I would like to see it one time in my life :wink:

@pianopaul
Works perfectly. Thanks!

Steve

1 Like

Thank you all very much. I was traveling for work this week and wasn’t near my rig, but I’ll finally get a chance to add the scripting tomorrow.

Great, but please take also the time to react to this:

David-san,

The GP switch widget does NOT control the B3X parameter properly, no. Nothing happens since B3x wants to see different values than the widget is sending (0-1). If it were working, I wouldn’t have started this thread in the first place. :slight_smile:

Thank you, all!

Do you have the documentation for this? In general, using host automation, following the VST spec, all parameter values must fall between 0.0 and 1.0

This doesn’t make sense unless the B3x has not properly implemented host automation in which case I would consider that a bug in the B3X

I just set a formula like this on the widget. Anything greater than 0 will produce the maximum value of 100.

I used MIDI Learn to learn CC23 in Rig Manager and gave it a name of Rotary Speed. Then tied the widget to that.

then I scaled the widget with the formula

Here is the GIg file. No script necessary

B3X-Example-2021-09-05.gig (29.6 KB)

Note: The widget does not behave as expected but the B3X rotary switch toggles at value of 1.

Steve

Just loaded the gig and tested:
Can you describe how the widget should be behave and how it does now?
There is a large thread in this forum where the behaviour of a scaled button widget is discussed.

Plugin parameters greater than 1.0 do not exist! This suggests that host automation is not enabled in B3X and that you are tinkering with something else instead. I bet it’s the CC# message from your MIDI controller that you’re sending directly to B3X. I think the widget is only used for decoration. Am I wrong? In no situation you can activate the B3X parameter with the widget alone, right?

In which situation did a GP switch widget produce anything different from 0 or 1? How can you now that the switch sent a value of 0.8? How dic you check that?

1 Like

What di you expect?

When doing what? Acting on the MIDI controller? Acting on the widget?

… This suggests that host automation is not enabled in B3X and that you are tinkering with something else instead…

This would be my first guess too… but why should we permanently be “guessing” around?
We should have a look at the actual gig file (or rackspace file) to just see what’s going on!
So please @wd8dky , upload the concerning rackspace or the gig file, so all these people who are willing to help, can have a look at it. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@David-san

The switch picture does not change to “On” until you move the MIDI controller past the half way point, however the B3X correctly toggles when the incoming MIDI value is 1 (fast) or 0 (Slow).

Just look at the gig file and you can see. If you don’t have the B3X plugin you can download it for free, however if you don’t have a paid copy of the plugin, there will be audio dropouts which don’t bother me just for testing the behavior of the rotary switch. This is why I posted the gig file so that you could see. Again, I used Rig Manager to program the correct CC (using MIDI learn) and then to widget scaling to change the trigger point.

Steve

What happens with a midi value of 2, or 3, or 127, etc?

If it’s just on/off then it may be that the Midi values are just 0 or “not 0”

For host automation, it makes sense that going over 0.5 would be the switch over