Strange stuck notes behavior with Halion 6

Lets try another thing:

Please Block Sustain in the 2 filter plugins and try again.

Strange: It´s enough to block Sustain on Ch2 , then there are no hanging notes on CH1 anymore!?

That doesn´t solve the issue but Maybe helps identifying.

Try with Channel 7 and 8 without blocking Sustain.
You can also try to filter out CC64 in HALION

And also only play notes without using your Sustain Pedal, to be sure it comes from the CC64

Sorry, I was blocked yesterday for 21h because of too many posts at first day in the Forum.
Many thanks for your time and help so far. Much appreciated…

When using CH7&8 the behavior is the same.
And it´s related to CC64. When I play without Sustain (CC64) - no hanging notes.
Also when I filter CC64 on both Channels in Halion - no hanging notes.
Interestingly it´s not enough to filter CC64 on CH2 in Halion, then I still have hanging notes while it was solved when I filter C64 on Ch2 in GP3.

So I am sure, HALION has an issue.

Can you try to reproduce on Cubase?

I tested on different hosts and found the following:

No issues on: Cubase, Brainspawn Forte, Audio Modeling Camelot
Halion 6 Notes hanging on: GP3 and Cantabile

So it seems like an Halion issue but different hosts may handle it differently.
So if the developers are reading this they may take look into it for the future.

For me personally we can close this Topic now, as I think I know how to workaround.
Many thanks again for your valuable Feedback.

1 Like

What is your workaround? That might actually be a clue.

We will reach out to Steinberg - this is very odd though.

Several questions

1. Are you on Mac or Windows
  2. Are you using the latest version of Gig Performer 3
  3. Are you using the latest version of the plugin
  4. Are you using VST2, VST3 or AU (Mac only)

It seems it only happens with the large Piano Patches (7GB) being on a lower Midi-channel than the pads. So I found two Workarounds:

1. using seperate instances of Halion for each Sound
  2. Change Midi-Channel of the Piano-Patch to a higher Channel than Pads.

Sounds odd, but Notes are hanging when Piano is on Ch1 and Pads on Ch2, but notes aren´t hanging when Piano is on Ch2 and Pads on Ch1.
The same for other Channels -> Piano Ch7 and Pads Ch8 = hangs but Piano Ch8 and Pads Ch7 = doesn´t hang.

Your Questions:

1. Windows
  2. GP 3.6.1
  3. Yes 6.4
  4. VST3

Thank you - we will investigate - very bizarre behavior though
How easy is it to get hanging notes though - does it happen a lot or just occasionally?
D

It happens a lot when playing two hands piano with sustain Pedal.

OK - silly question perhaps but have you checked that your sustain pedal is working properly and that it always sends out CC 64 0 when released?

@Beatlab, I modified your original gig file with a GP script and two sliders which controls a delay on CH1 and CH2. I suspect Halion to have difficulties to deal with every incoming MIDI messages when too much successives messages are very close each other.

Here is the modified gigfile, if you want to help, please download it in GP3: StuckHalion.gig (1.5 MB)

• The default variation (delays set 0) should correspond to your current configuration, so please, check that you still have stuck notes (it should still be the case)
  • Then, could you please also test variation 2 and variation 3 and tell me if you still have stuck notes (with 50ms, it will be a bit difficult to play, sorry about that :grimacing:).
  • If you don’t have stuck notes any more, in each variation (2 & 3), reduce the delay until you ear stuck notes again and report the results
1 Like

Interesting theory but why only with us and not with the other DAWs?

Yes, I checked that. CC64 0 value is always there.
The stuck notes even don´t stop if I use the Sustain pedal several times after they start hanging. Only “Panic-button” or bypassing one of the Midi-Ins will stop it.
It´s also reproducable on different setups with different Sustain Pedals.

Thanks David-san,
I tried to test the modified gigfile but it´s not working like expected. Midi-Channel 2 doesn´t seem to work.
On both variations I only hear ch1 Piano + delayed Ch1 piano. No Ch2.
When I Bypass Midi-In Ch1 there is no Sound at all on all variations.

Because you do things very efficiently, and I am pretty sure the delay between duplicated MIDI events in GP is the minimum possible delay, while it is probably not the case for other DAW. So, my theory is that you are too good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am programming without being able to test, sorry. Copy/paste typo :grimacing:

Could you please try again with this version: StuckHalion.gig (1.5 MB)

Now Midi-In Ch2 is working but still plays only Ch1 although it´s mapped to Ch2

Sorry I checked quickly, and it should work now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: StuckHalion.gig (1.5 MB)

Channel 2 is now hard coded in the script.

Ok, now the gig-file works and brings some interesting info. :grinning:

While the delay on Ch1 doesn´t seem to have an effect (still stuck notes on Ch1 even with 50ms delay)
it has an effect to raise the delay on Ch2.

Setting CH2 delay to 6ms or larger will make the hanging notes on Ch1 to disappear

Interesting sidefact:
Having 0-2ms delay on Ch2, I´m only able to stop the hanging notes Ch1 by panic button or bypassing one of the Midi-Ins. Using the Sustain pedal while hanging notes keep sounding has no effect.
Having 3-5ms delay on Ch2, I´m also able to stop the hanging notes Ch1 by using again the Sustain pedal.