Strange audio routeing issue with NI RC24

I am setting up quite a complicated routeing for a gig tomorrow and have run into a strange issue with NI’s RC24 reverb plugin.
Here’s the setup - MacBook pro with MOTU Ultralite audio interface and Micro Lite Midi interface. The audio outs from the MOTU are configured as:

Main Out L/R - to FoH desk
Out 3 - to ventilator leslie pedal
Out 4 - click to drums
Out 5/6 - my monitor output to wireless transmitter for in ears

In 3/4 - Yamaha Motif
In 5/6 - monitor feed of band from desk
In 7/8 - ventilator return

The idea is that I can choose when to pick up a click by routeing the output to my monitor mix per song.
Works very well apart from one issue.
I am using Kontakt into the RC24 reverb plugin routed to the main outs. If I also route the output of the RC24 and the click to my monitor feed in GP, then the click comes through the Main Outs! If I route the direct from Kontakt, bypassing the RC24, and the click straight to the monitor feed then the click only appears on my monitor mix. Strange, as the RC24 meters show no levels at all.Same thing happening with the RC48 plugin but not the Waves IRL. Must be a bug in the NI plugs but thought I’d check if anyone has an explanation or workaround.

Edit also happening with Apple reverb plugin

I have rc24 and kontakt too.
Can you show a picture of your routing?

Here you go. The click is initiated by a foot pedal connected to the Yamaha. It is routed to audio out 4, 7 and 8 of the MOTU. The Kontakt instrument is routed via RC24 then to audio outs 1/2 and 7/8. Using this setup the click also plays through 1/2 which I don’t want.
In the second screenshot I have removed the routing from RC24 to 7/8 and setup a routing directly from the Kontakt instrument to 7/8. This works perfectly.

For some reason the second image won’t upload. I’ll combine the two into one.

Just won’t let me upload another image.

Final attempt

After further playing around I’ve realised that the issue is not just with NI’s LC24. I’m getting some strange results when splitting the outs of a plugin to two different audio outs.
In one example, as soon as I connected the Kontakt instrument to 1/2 and 7/8 the 1/2 output suffered a drop in volume on the left channel. Weird. It appears inconsistent behaviour so I can’t risk it for my first GP gig so will have to revert to just using the mix from the desk, which luckily has a configurable monitor mix per person.
When I get time I’ll play around with it some more as it would be nice to configure my setup the way I want.

Do you use CueMix?
Maybe there is a loop in your routing

I don’t know if this helps, but I found a similar issue. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and needed a quick fix, so I cant remember which configuration I was using at the time. I was going to look at it again, when I had time to investigate.

I was trying to feed an additional mono signal to a separate audio out (along with a stereo signal). When connecting the mono outputs with the stereo - directly to the plugin outputs, It was making my stereo output mono. I found a quick fix was just put gain controls between the plugin outputs and audio interface. I didn’t even access the controls, they were just there to separate the connections from the plugins to the interface. This fixed the stereo mix.

Not sure if this helps you, but thought i’d throw it out there.

Thanks guys. The first gig with GP is tonight so I’ll keep the config as simple as possible then look into the issue later. I did look at the CueMix routing but it all seems okay. I’ve ruled it out anyway as, as you can see in the screenshots of the one that worked and the one that didn’t, the only difference is the changing the routing from the RC24 to Kontakt. It is inconsistent though which is why I need to find a foolproof workaround before risking it on stage.

Lee - when you get a chance - please send us your .GIG or your .RACKSPACE file to support@gigperformer.com so that we can try to reproduce the issue and double check things on our end just in case.

Lee - we tried to reproduce the issue by creating a simplified version of your layout, but everything works as expected.

In our setup - “Strings” simulates your click track and is connected to outputs 4 and 7-8
The Wurli is connected to Apple’s reverb and then to 1-2 and 7-8 outputs.

There is a split at the top for incoming MIDI so if only the “Strings” are played (your click track) you can see that the audio is properly going to 4, 7-8 only. 1-2 output is silent. Playing the Wurli properly goes to 1-2 and 7-8
We’ll keep trying to reproduce the issue. When you get a chance - please send your gig file.

Forgot to attach the file…

Nebojsa, I’ll send it through when I set up my live rig; probably on Wednesday. If I start gig performer without the rack connected then the MOTU won’t show in the output configuration.

Ok, but if you start it without MOTU - GP will create virtual audio inputs and outputs to accommodate your setup. So you can send it anyway.

Will do, but I also want to screen record the results in case it is particular to the MOTU. A recording will show that it’s not a figment of my imagination :slight_smile: