Song (send PC) vs Song Part (Extra MIDI)

I’m getting ready to start using GP to set all of my hardware gear as well as host VSTs.
I found 2 ways to send Program Change messages while stepping through the setlist.

Song Part (Extra MIDI) sends “KRONOS: xC0 15” to a MIDI Out block named KRONOS that is set to the port of my MIDI interface. (this is straight forward)

• How do you do Program Change Banks with Extra MIDI?

Song (send Program Change 15)

• Where does the MIDI message go?
  • Physical MIDI port, or sends PC to VST?
  • Can we send program changes to VSTs?
  • Does the Song PC send before the first Song Part Extra MIDI?

I think something like: KRONOS: xB0 0 0, xB0 32 0, xC0 15
This would send MSB 0, LSB 0, PC 15.
Bank 0, Program Change 15

Note: I know it looks funny for me to reply to my own thread. But as I work through a solution, I wanted to post it here for the benefit of others that may also want this information.

1 Like

It doesn’t look funny. I always answer my own questions if I figure something out on he grounds that it will be useful for others.

2 Likes

Can someone help with these?

I have a related question. I’m currently using “midipipe” to send program change and other data from Gigperformer to other software. “Midipipe” (Mac) shows a “pipe” as a physical midi device that I send to, from gig performer through GPscript. Is there a way to make these “pipes” within GPscript or other method of sending CC and PC from software to software?

On Mac you can use the IAC Midi Driver.
Another option could be OSC, but the other software must support the OSC protocol.