Smoothing / Glide for Widget Changes

Example: I am working on a song where when you switch to the Chorus a filter sweeps open. I would like to assign a widget to the filter cutoff, have the filter closed during the verse, open during the chorus. But instead of widget snapping from 0 to 100 I could set a smoothing time – almost like an attack time – so that the widget has to glide to the new value. If I set to 1000 ms then the slope of the widget can never exceed 1000 ms / 100 units. When I change the widget from 100 to 0 it ramps down at the same slope.

Normally when you switch variations you want settings to change instantly, but for many of my widgets I would always set to a quick ramp so the change is not so harsh. In the example above I would set to a slow ramp. This setting would fit nicely on the “Value” tab.

I have another song in mind where the filter sweep occurs over two full measures, so hoping the feature allows at least two measures of smoothing (maybe four?). Smoothing time could be set in terms of the current BPM (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, etc.). Or I am fine converting to milliseconds…

I did such with scripting using the ramp function
I will post an example tonight when I am at home.

In the meantime you can take a look at this:

Automatic Fade Out

Excellent use of GP Script! I haven’t used the Generators yet.

I want to say that script is not an ideal solution here because:

1. I have 50 widgets and I don’t want to script 50 different generators
  2. My widget values are already stored for each variation by GP. I don’t want to have to store all those values, for every variation in script. If I change my variation I don’t want to change my script.

What I am proposing leverages a lot that already exists in GP, it fits the user interface, and adds a cool automation to GP’s powerful widget platform.

OK I understand what you want.
But what is the use case that you need to use 50 widgets with this smoothing?

Are you using a DAW together with Gig Performer?

Yeah, this is already on our list but obviously I can’t say when it might get implemented.

1 Like

To sum up, why 50 widgets, I always run three busses: Pads, Keys and Other — with six widgets per buss so I can adjust effects real-time (volume, verb, cutoff, chorus, delay, distortion, and for pads I have a shimmer).

There are also global controls (volume, cutoff, pads auto sustain, keys una corda, boost, mono, etc.).

That’s boilerplate for everything I do. For each patch I will preset different values for the buss widgets.

On top of that I have an enable and a volume for each voice in the patch (up to 12 voices).

I can tweak these widgets by hand any time I want, but often I have changes programmed for variation changes (e.g., things like volume and cutoff) to build the intensity up or down. These changes could be more smooth if I had the ability to set the glide delay. Some widgets need to change instantly (e.g., when I enable a voice it allows Note On events to pass through to the VST). Other changes sound better if swept in. Thus a per-widget setting is useful.