Setting up 2nd Laptop: External Hard Drive Name

I am in the process of setting up a 2nd laptop. I would like it to mirror my current laptop. (In case it matters, my current laptop is Windows 10 and the new one is Windows 11).

So, my objective is to be able to seamlessly use the same Gig file (my full gig file) on both laptops.

I also have two different external hard drives. I plan to use the new SSDI with the new laptop and the old SSDI with the “old” laptop. (Both are Samsung SSDIs, one is basically an updated version of the same SSDI).

The SSDIs hold sample libraries. I know that in order for the Gig file to work properly the paths have to be identical (or I would have to set up symbolic links).

I am going to try to create exactly the same folders on the same path on the new SSDI as the old one. So, to the extent I can avoid having to figure out and set up symbolic links, I’d like to do that.

So, here is my dumb little question. My “old” SSDI is: T7 (D:)

The new SSDI is: T7 Shield (D:)

Can I/should I rename by new SSDI so it is also T7 (D:) ?

Thanks (the tech side of all this is a bit of a challenge for me).

Jeff

The actual drive’s name shouldn’t make any difference, but keep the same drive letter.

Thanks, good, the letter is the same (D:).

I have two Surface Pro 8 computers. I have all my gigfiles, FX, samples etc stored on a very fast micro sd card. The sd card is housed in a Hyper Drive powered hub that both computers can access and load files from. Works very well and is as fast when loading files as the Surface’s built in SSD.

1 Like

Interesting. How big is that SD Card?

The capacity is not a primary criterion in the choice of SDCard, there is enough choice to find the one adapted to the needs.
On the other hand, the bus speed is the parameter to be checked to avoid latency problems.
The downside is that prices can go up quickly.

For information, SD Express cards theoretically offer, using PCIe Gen.4 interface and NVMe application protocol, a capacity up to 128 TB with data transfer rates up to 3940 MB/s !!!

If it existed at the present time, I can’t even imagine the price of such a card :scream:

Thanks. My plan is to keep it simple, not going too far beyond my (limited) comfort zone.

I will tend to keep my new laptop downstairs and my old laptop upstairs.

Once I (fingers crossed) make sure everything is properly installed in the correct paths and check that the same gig file works properly on both laptops, I will probably just move gig files from one to the other via (old school) thumb drive.

But, suppose the cloud could make more sense. Maybe I will start with a thumb drive and look into the cloud. If I get crazy (hah), I suspect there is a way the cloud version always gets back up so I can access from either laptop and I would know that I am always using the latest gig file.

Okay, one step at at time. Today, I want to connect my new laptop to my keyboard controller and sound card and see if my installations work right.

Jeff

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. It is a 1 Tb card.