Send rather than receiving program changes

Currently trying to take advantage of the song list feature where each song part not only recalls a rackspace variation but also send program change to the fishman triple play so it can set the tracking, dynamic range, and pitch mode for each patch. Previously I had program changes sent from tripleplay TO gig performer but now I am trying to set it so Tripleplay receives program changes FROM gigperformer. I’ll need to change my preferences in gig performer to NOT received program changes from Tripleplay to prevent double program change traffic.

The advantage of the gig performer song list feature is that groups of patches for each song stay together, I eliminate the need for the Tripleplay software during performance, and the setlist is easily changed with drag and drop (not possible in triplplay hardware patches).

I’m also hopeful that if my triplplay bluetooth connection drops that it will recover faster in this hardware mode than it does with the software. Sometime after re-pairing the triple play, the program changes sent from triple play make it to the software but not out to gigperformer. So in theory the new setup will be more reliable.

I’ll also be able to use predictive loading in songlist mode so I reduce memory and test issues with the computer.

I wonder if others need to switch gig performer from receiving program changes to sending program changes when they move from rackspaces to song list mode?

1 Like

Yes - this is absolutely one of the things that will, I think, be happening with many 2.x users as they start using the new Songs and Setlist features. Gig Performer 3 is now becoming the “centre of your rig” so to speak and it will control other things you have connected based on the song/song part you’re on.

Thank you for posting this important insight into shifting the way things work with GP3.

I’ve been doing the exact same thing for 2 weeks now: Having my Nord Stage 2 and the YAMAHA Mo-XF 6 connected to GP and let GP send program changes to them.

In some songs I only use the Nord Stage as a 88 keys weighted master keyboard because I don’t want to play the piano ballad on the 61 keyboard. So MIDI goes to GP and will be routed via a MIDI Out Block to the Mo-XF (because of its smooth DX e-piano / pad layers :blush: ). Really awesome, I don’t need to setup anything manual before the song (except switching the song in GP :wink: ).

One more advantage: I only need to have one sustain pedal and if I want, GP routes only the Sustain Pedal data (CC64) to the other keyboard so I can use the pedal for both keyboards at the same time.

I have a default template rackspace that has definitions for midi out to four ‘physical’ devices. I duplicate this ‘template’ for all rackspaces. In the template, I have 4 standard midi outs set up, one for each ‘physical’ device. For three of those four, I send a specific MSB/LSB/Program change. One of those four actually controls my drummers’ Roland SPD-30 octopad. I can’t imagine doing it any other way except possibly gpscript.

X

Can you please explain how you get GP to change your patches in TriplePlay? In particular, not only in song mode, but everytime a rack space is selected?

There is an option to drop a midi out block in that rack, a dialog comes up that says “when switching to this rack space - send the following data out” . There you can enter PC info. I can not get TP to respond. I had tried to choose the Tripleplay midi out, the midiout2 (tripleplay) as well as a virtual midi port that I chose in TP preferences as my midi foot controller. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a MIDI Implemention Chart of TriplePlay?

Are you sending PC messages through the regular tripleplay midi out? When I do that (midi out block in “automatically send PC when selecting this rack”), nothing happens in to, bit it echoes back into GP and starts changing rack spaces there ironically.

OK, do you use the OMNI MIDI In Plugin?
And what do you want to do?

Send PC Message from Gig Performer to another device?
Or get PC Messages from outside of Gig Performer and you want to select rackspace variations or Song Parts?

TP may be the worst midi implementation gear yet, but I can tell you that when I send PC 001 on channel 1 from my FC300 pedal, it works.

So you want to change a rackspace in Gig Performer and TriplePlay should select a patch/program (whatever it is called)?

Can you upload a small gig file where the used MIDI Out is visible?

Yes, I want to send PC from gig performer to another device (tripleplay standalone) when a rack is selected. That should happen just by filling out the PC in the midi out block in the rack right? Without any handles…

I can’t send a gig file later, not at that computer right now.

Yes that should work, but please do not use the OMNI MIDI In plugin
and make sure that you do not create an infinite MIDI Loop with your used MIDI devices.

1 Like

Tripleplay must be programmed with hardware patches and started in the hardware mode by holding up arrow on D pad when powering on. The red power light double blinks every 5 sec instead of single blink every 5 sec.

I set my TP hardware patches all in 6 channel mono. There can be a difference in patch number due to one system (Tripleplay or gigperformer) making the first patch zero and another system making the first patch 1.

1 Like

Wow, so I programmed the TP, exited the TP software and started up controller in HW mode and it works. So the TP software can NOT be running??? That is SO ODD!!!

You’re only using this to set the PB mode (auto, trigger, smooth etc) plus some other sensitivity and dynamic settings right? So I’m guessing you’d only need like 10 or so hardware patches saved in TP? So you are mapping to one of these TP patches in ALL your song or rack changes right?

Is there a setting where the TP can be left running? I’ve got questions for you! LOL Such as how did you (if you did) solve the FTP hold pedal functionality with holding one patch and playing over it with another, or just a plain guitar sound?

Glad to answer your questions. I’m not sure what you mean about “leave TP running”. The Tripleplay software should not be running and instead the hardware patches in the TP controller determine settings for each patch. When the Tripleplay controller is powered on in the hardware mode, it remains on as long as the switch is on and the Tripleplay software is NOT running.

I don’t use the hold function but it’s easy to program a midi controller button for it.

I use a “balance” control setup in gigperformer rackspace that gives be guitar, synth or both.

I have videos on My setup https://youtu.be/RPhpkh_00zg

1 Like

Looking forward to checking out your video in detail later! Thanks!

I rushed to answer while in a meeting on the phone and it didn’t make good sense so I ave edited by previous reply. English is my first language but you wouldn’t know it by that disaster.

1 Like

Love your dedication to the cause :slight_smile: