Script for MIDI-triggered audio recording?

Is it possible to assign a MIDI trigger to start/stop the built-in audio recorder?

I’ve been looking a bit into scripting but am definitely in over my head, I’m assuming the existence of /RecordInputs as a function means that it is possible, does anyone have a script already set up to do this? Seems like it would be a fairly common idea.

I’ve currently got GP configured with Voicemeeter Potato, and I can send MIDI from a controller -> GP–> VM to start/stop the VM recorder, but would rather do it through GP since it can record multiple discreet channels and then I don’t need the VM window open.

Can anyone please assist a scripting n00b? thank you!

Try this script

Var
   REC : Widget

// Called when a widget value has changed
On WidgetValueChanged(newValue : double) from REC
 if newValue == 1.0 then
  RecordInputs(true)
 else
  RecordInputs(false)
 end 
End

Map your Midi Message to the widget and you are ready to go

4 Likes

wow, thank you so incredibly much, perfect!

Is it possible to merge multiple inputs to one main “to recorder” buss, so that it will record stereo instead of multiple mono files?

also is there any way to name inputs something other than ‘IN#2 Left’ on the GP end?

I’ll do some searching but asking usually seems quicker

As you can only record inputs, the idea is to route the inputs you want to record to two outputs and to loopback these “stereo” outputs to two free inputs that you will use for recording. I do this with a built-in loopback from my RME audio interface, but you can also do it with something like Voicemeeter (Win) or Blackhole (Mac).