RMI Electra Piano?

If I could exchange my Aurturia collection for it sure… but otherwise right now I only need Kontakt to fill this niche roll.

But Arturia V-Collection AND Kontakt are keyboardist must have.

2 Likes

I’m sure they are both must haves :wink:

For now… I’m saving my pennies for a real Hammond XK-5.

We’re running fast towards Black Friday, maybe you can make a bargain for a full Kontakt license…

2 Likes

:musical_score: When Black Friday comes :notes:
:musical_note: I collect everything I’m owed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Maybe, but if I had to choose and was trying to get started, I think Kontakt is the compromise — you can get your electric pianos, acoustic pianos, organ, etc — lot of the staples.

Isn’t Kontakt sample based and Arturia model based?

@lostin70s
The zip contains also the wav files. Otherwise the sfz would not work. :wink:
I would be happy if you include it to the key sample bank! :slightly_smiling_face:

@brandon
The samples were taken with organ mode on, because the piano mode (organ off) can be reproduced using the volume envelope of the sampler. So all registers of the 386X can be made using my sample sets. I used this in a korg kronos before and it worked fine for me.

The sound:
On youtube there is an instructional video on how to play the arpeggio of carpet crawl from genesis. This is the sound of this early electronic piano.

I watched the video of empty pages and I would reproduce this piano solo sound using arturias Stage-73 V2 and route it to a overdrive fx.

1 Like

@brandon I use the TAL-Sampler vor all my needs in sampling. It does not cost as much as a (used) car, is easy to learn, comes with a huge sample library, imports wav sfz sf2, and at least there is a demo.

1 Like

The sampler I am using, sforzando, doesn’t have a volume envelope. I’ll try another one that does.

Agreed that that solo really doesn’t sound like an RMI to me (and I have been working with the Stage-73 to date for it) except that it doesn’t appear to have been played with anything with much velocity sensitivity… but that could all be in how it was amp’d and compressed too.

So this thread sent me on a nostalgic trip (again) through the Lamb (by far the most significant album for me growing up) and I have uncovered these sources of RMI ElectraPiano 386 sounds. A couple are mentioned above but I thought I’d put them in one list in case it helps anyone.

Dave Kerzner aka Squid (for SampleTank): Buy Squids Rare Instruments Vol. 1 Electronic () (or is it this one? Buy Rare Instruments Bonus Pack (Downloadable sounds))

UVI have one in Key Suite Electric (for UVI Workstation or Falcon): https://www.uvi.net/en/pianos-keyboards/key-suite-electric.html

Hollow Sun (for Kontakt): RMI Electrapiano

• AFAICT this is the most like the real thing in terms of interface that lets you combine sounds, and it sounds good too (I have it)

Stoffel’s samples from above (SFZ for e.g. TAL Sampler): 3.04 MB file on MEGA

Vintage Progressive Sound (for Kontakt): Vintage Progressive Sound - Product: RMI 386x

Nord have one in their library: RMI Electra 368x | Nord Keyboards

I’m sure there are others!

Enjoy.

2 Likes

I’d heard of a free 32 bit vst named RMI-EP a while back, but there was a comment on plugins4free.com that mentioned it didn’t work with Gig Performer 4. Yesterday, I decided to give it a try anyway and it works just fine on Windows using jBridge and GP.

2 Likes