Rig manager - MIDI output devices

Hi,

is there a way in GP to manage MIDI output devices, just like one can manage MIDI input devices in Rig manager?

Here is the problem: I work with MS Surface which has only one USB port. I started using GP with my Yamaha MODX, connencted to that USB port. Now I sometimes need another USB, so I bought USB hub. Once I reconnect MODX to the hub, it gets different name in the GP (original MODX-1, now 1-MODX-1 or 2-MODX-1, dependant from which USB port I’m using); but that’s what’s Rig manager is for (Associate MIDI device…).

Now I need the same capabilities for the MIDI out scenario, since MIDI program change from GP to the synth doesn’t work. Can it be done?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hmm, not right now but you’re right that Rig Manager does need to support this – I’ve added it to our tracking system.

1 Like

@dhj,

I was just thinking about this item the other day. The general idea behind rig manager is great, but providing ability to fully abstract physical from logical devices in rig manager for all input and output types would complete the vision of what I think you intend rig manager to be in the first place.

What would be great is that I could account for all inputs and outputs in rig manager, and then change what physical device maps to any logical device there. At that point, I would only reference logical devices as inputs and outputs for my outboard midi devices, controllers, etc… as a go forward strategy. Then when I would go to select a midi-in in the rackspace backpanel, it would show the logical names only, NOT the physical ones.

X

Yes, It could be a good idea to enhance the possibilities of the RIG manager.
eg. I can push a button defined in RIG manager as BUTTON, but when this button is activated, I have to send an hard coded MIDI message to light up its LED. If I change the controller, I would like to have the BUTTON_LED also defined in RIG manager.

I use a Surface Pro 6 with Gig Performer and have a Surface Pro 4 docking station 1664 which gives me four extra USB ports as well as the existing one on the Surface itself. Plus you get automatic charging and small foot print. This is the earlier model not to be confused with the newer brick model.

Another use case for this option:

I have a MIDI out block used for my control surface, and when doing a firmware update it changes its name and I need to do changes both in rig manager AND in the connections views. :upside_down_face:

Yeah, we have several other use cases…no more convincing necessary. I am however curious as to why devices names get changed in Windows, I don’t quite understand why that’s happening.

I am not sure that it is Windows. The device name changes each time I upgrade the firmware of my control surface.

By the way:

• when associating a new MIDI device to a defined MIDI input device (or output device in the future :pray:), I would like that GP proposes to do so in every other rig configutation.

Perhaps we could think of a way to add wildcards in the device names like “Platform M+ V*” which would then fit any version number ?

Are they including version info in the midi device name?

Yes, exactly.

I just opened, in a second GP instance, a gig file which uses rig manager defined MIDI controls, while this instance had no rig defined. It seems that in this situation the MIDI controls are set to empty. Would this mean that at this point if I save my gig file the MIDI controls defined are lost ?

Well, that seems like a dumb decision on their part. It means that any app you have that refers to that device would have to reconfigure as well. Can you ask them why they’re doing that?

I will ask them, but whatever the answer, I think the good question could be: “could you please stop do to so?”

But, for the moment, I am waiting for other answer from them. They are doing changes one at a time. They just made it possible to use their endless knobs in non incremental mode by storing locally the value sent by GP. Before, It was not the case. Now I can use the GP MIDI sync option which is still not the case with endless knobs working in incremental mode. But, I guess you are also doing changes on at a time :wink:

Hi, I dig up this topic.
It is still not possible to manage midi outputs in Rig manager ?

I created a Master Keyboard output aliases and assign this device to my CP300 or Montage.
I see “Master Keyboard” in my Midi input and all is ok to change quickly the right midi keyboard but I don’t see “Master Keyboard” in my Midi output.

Did I miss something ?

It’s still just doable for MIDI inputs.

Yes I know and it’s a great thing :slight_smile:
I use it to change quickly my “Master Key” (Device Aliases) to my CP300 Midi or Montage Midi.

But Sometimes I use VST (Piano or rhodes) with sounds from my MX-49 (in Layer or split).
The day I’ll change my 2nd keyboard (MX-49), I’ll have to review all the output midi (MX-49 assignments) of the rackspaces. :cold_sweat:

When you change the MIDI Out Device of a MIDI Out Plugin you are asked if that change should be made in all rackspaces

4 Likes

Simply and so quickly. Perfect :grinning:
Thanks

1 Like

It’s not perfect but it does help with most cases

1 Like

Another thumbs up for Rig Manager MIDI Output alias.

2 Likes