Rig Manager midi in

Hi, If i plug my controller (Roland A800 pro) into a different midi port then it is seen as a new controller in Gigperformer. Interestingly another controller i use is still recognised if moved to a different USB port. Note i am not using omni in.

But I can see by various post on the net that this can happen as windows labels the devise as new. So to enable me to use a different USB port (with same controller) I set up in rig manager a second profile. Now when I use a different usb port all my mapped switches etc all work with the controller (now in a different usb port). However note in data is not recognised unless i change the midi in block to the new midi in block that appears for the ‘new’ controller in the different usb port. I guess i have missed a step somewhere, but having checked manual and watched a youtube video i cant see what i have missed. Can some one point me in the right direction? Cheers

How does your Rig Manager Window look like?
Normally this should be no issue as you assign your physical Midi Device to a logical.

Hey thanks for the response (again!)

What MIDI Inout Device are you using in your rackspaces?

For this device (I do not know it it the red or green) you just assign your physical MIDI device via pressing on the circle with the 3 dots in.

Hi, in rack spaces i am using Roland. When clicking the 3 dots, i get options, add global name (greyed ou) rename, remove this global name, associate midi device, learn midi, remove midi association. So i guess i missed the associate midi device? I have now Associated roland with Roland Usb (new midi in) but now i dont have midi button working. I can see that gigperformer is seeing the new device on the rig manager screen, but at rack level nothing happens unless i change the midi in block

This is not working?

You have assigned the physical device to the wrong entry.
Please do that for the grey entry named “Roland” as this is referenced by your MIDI Controls

Hi, i wrote incorrectly. I had associated Roland USB2 to Roland. So what i have done is. Create a default rig called default rig. Within that rig I have associated midi controls with Roland (midi in). I then created a backup rig. Within this (backup rig) i created an association with just one midi slider (for test purposes), and then associated Roland USB2 with Roland (midi in). I then removed and replugged the keyboard into a different usb port and selected backup rig. I assume i have still done something wrong as i have no controller working or note in at rackspace? thanks

Seems you just assigned the Phyiscal Midi Device not correctly to the Midi enty you are using.
I do that all the time and iti is working.

ok i think i will start again from scratch as i am still missing something. If i try to set up the new rig once i have plugged the keyboard into a different usb slot, the option to associate it with the ‘default rig’ i normally use is not an option (as the physical device is not present in its usual usb port?).

When it is not working, do you have behind your device (Roland) a “2”; like (Roland 2)?

That could happen as Windows is recognizing the Roland as a new device.

Hi there. Yes it is being recognised as a new device which is why I was trying to use the rig manager function and effectively treat it as a new device. But whilst when the keyboard is added as a new device I can get it to work with all controller mapping in all gear racks but the basic midi in block still expects the old controller. I cant see how I globally replace or link the original midi in block to the newly added controller. I can see this would work perfectly if I set up all my midi on blocks as omni. I will probably do this if I cant figure it out.

Did you really use the midi in defined by rig manager?

Hi I did not use omni unfortunately when setting up rackspaces. In rig manager I selected the physical midi in port from the roland and then set a global name and them linked to physical sliders and knobs etc.

Not use Omni is recommended.
I do not understand the issues you have, as this situation is what rig manager is designed for…

I must have missed a step somewhere. I cant see where I can associate the newly added physical device to the originally set up device.

Do you know this?

1 Like

hi yes thanks checked that when i first set up. Only difference is when iset mine up I have to set one controller at a time rather than having them both attached (as in the video). I am going to try adding a different physical controller in case its an issue with the roland… You advised against using omni - out of any particular reason? I only use 2 controllers so i could simply set different midi channels for them? That said if i can get rig manager working that would be quicker. cheers

Omni listens on all available physical devices.
When you use virtual midi then there is a big possibility to create infinite loops.

By the way: I think to use OMNI and Rig Manager can cause some situations you do not want.
Better you use the MIDI In which are clearly known in Rig Manager

Hi the bit I am failing to set up correctly is whatever has to be done to ensure the new rig created passes note data to the midi in blocks within each rack space. All widgets work fine with new rig set up and on rig manager page I can see all note data is being received it just does not get passed to the midi in block at rackspace level. Where does this association happen, thanks for your help.