[Solved]Rig Manager did not solve my broken midi mapping

Months ago, I was advised to use The Rig Manager to ease reinstalling Windows. I have many volume sliders, mute buttons, rotary fast/slow buttons etc all mapped to GP functions. Whenever I reinstall Windows, these functions get broken and don’t work. So I have to go through over 400 rack spaces and re-learn each and every function. I was told that using the Rig Manager would help quickly fix the broken functions. Maybe it can, but I not sure how to apply it to the problem. Can I have some help please?

@bigalminal we would love to help, but the title of your post is that Rig Manager did not solve your broken midi mapping.

What did you try?
What didn’t work?

BTW. I assume that you did go through the manual. E.g
Using the Rig Manager
The Rig Manager Reference

Is something lacking there?

It could be just ignorance on my part. Using a computer to make music is not for everyone as it is a hugely complicated process. A person really needs to be technically minded as well. While I just love the simplicity of GP on the surface and the ease of setting up a new rackspace, it does have huge depth underneath. And as we say when things go wrong, “ Windows again”. I’d love perfect reliability all the time, but that seems impossible. The problem is, is that all the buttons, sliders etc are on the front panel, not in the working area. In the working area (sorry, not sure of the correct term), you right click and have the options to sort things out. You can’t do that from the buttons, sliders themselves, so how is the RM supposed to be involved in this case? And, sorry to bring up Forte again, but I never had broken links like this whilst using it. In the end, why does Gig Performer lose its links like this on a Win reinstall? I will have to go through every single rackspace (over 400) and make GP relearn every midi link again. It will take me a week of full days to do this. Surely, there must be a reason that can be corrected to enable GP to remember it’s already previously learned midi links to save this problem recurring over and over again?
Pardon my ignorance for what may be dumb questions, but in the end, what I really want to do is go out and entertain people using this fantastic music technology that we have available. Lastly, I’m in the same category as 99% of people, namely, l learn by being shown. I am a retired teacher, so I know that people learn far more quickly this way, and I am exactly the same. The best learning I had with GP, was when I had a personal phone call from one of the developers who remotely helped me on the other side of the world when I was stuck with a certain problem. That is amazing support that was so much appreciated.

The problem is that manuals are there for a reason and if users are not reading them we can’t always use phones and remote connections to help out. Gig Performer is a complex piece of software and, while we try to make it as intuitive as possible, reading the manual or at least reading the parts that one has trouble with or is interested in is the least we have to expect from a user.

Because your topic title explicitly states that you did use the Rig Manager, but it didn’t work for you - I can only as my questions again.

What did you try?
What didn’t work?

The third question would be “did you use the Rig Manager at all?”, but from your topic title, it is clear that you did use it somehow.

Could you please provide more info - thanks.

Yes, about two months ago, I set up the RM with all my links and had it working fine. I did It on the advice received in this forum on the assumption that it would prevent the broken links happening again. With the Win rebuild, I imported the saved RM file into GP. I guess my question would be, “Is there a way with the RM window open, to use it to restore all the broken midi links?”

Just reading through the RM info in the manual, it’s seems to have been implemented so that replacement controllers can be used. I always use the same controller, so this doesn’t apply in this case.
So my question remains, “Can I use the RM to restore broken midi links when Gig Performer is loaded into a new Windows rebuild?” If not, then using the RM is a waste of time in my case.
I really would like to know why Gig Performer cannot maintain its midi mapped links in the above situation.

Yes. That is the primary purpose of the Rig Manager. It does not matter if it is a different device or the same device with a different name - the RM is there for this precise purpose.

Could you please export your rig manager setup and one rackspace where things do not work and attach it so I can take a look. Maybe there is a bug we are overlooking here.

Thank you.

In the end it turned out that the Rig Manager worked as expected. This must have been related to something else entirely. There are many MIDI In blocks which blocked all but specific channels and were remapping channels which may have been responsible for this.

So please - consult the manual. The Rig Manager documentation is below. Please use it.

Using the Rig Manager
The Rig Manager Reference