Replace MIDI In

Sometimes one has to change the midi plugin in situations when the normal keyboard is not available (for example NI S88) and you want to play something
in the Hotel (yes I am a consultant) with the computer keyboard using a different small usb keyboard.

Would be nice if it would be possible to replace in general S88 Midi In by another Midi in in all rackspaces.
All the settings like channel mapping, transpose, key range etc. should not get lost.

Now the Midi In must be changed in each rackspace and all properties are gone.

Why can you not do this through Audio/MIDI Settings application on the Mac?

David:

Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean that we would just use the OMNI midi in and just swap controllers, or are you saying there is a way to (through Audio-Midi setup) make one controller ā€˜look likeā€™ another one?

Iā€™m interested in this because I often switch between 2 controllers. My original plan was to try to stick to OMNI midi in as much as possible, but then I lose out on some flexibility.

Thanks!

-Don

If you only have one controller then OMNI is fine as that particular block just accepts MIDI messages from ANY external MIDI device.

However, if you have multiple controllers, then you need to use named MIDI In blocks so that you can distinguish one controller from another.

Those names are by default the original device names that are registered when you plugin a MIDI controller. However, if you use Audio MIDI settings application, you can define your own names of devices and associate THOSE with the physical device names. Gig Performer will be able to see the names you defined so if you use those names in Gig Performer you wonā€™t have to change anything in GP should you use different external devices.

I will write a knowledgebase article on this topic as soon as I can.

I think I follow. Iā€™ll have to play with this over the weekend. Thanks!

@dhj,

I am not sure that I am doing this the easiest way. Iā€™m using Windows. I am just now introducing a 2nd Midi keyboard controller, and I will sometimes be using only 1 midi keyboard controller at a time and sometimes 2 at a time. My question isā€¦ If I am using only 1 controller at a time, then the omni MIDI In block is fine for my VIā€™s. But if I am using 2 at a time, I guess I would need to change them from OMNI to controller specific? Is that what you recommend? The other solution I can think of is to always create 2 MIDI In blocks using 1 for controller A and other for controller B.

OMNI is really intended for new users so that stuff just works. Itā€™s also fine if you ever have one controller and you donā€™t have any virtual MIDI ports.
As soon as you have more than one controller, you should use MIDI In blocks that are associated with the specific controller. Further, if you think thereā€™s ever a chance that you might need to use different controllers from time to time, then you should define them in the Rig Manager and use Rig Manager defined global names for the MidiIn blocks. That way, if you ever change your keyboards, you can just update that info in the Rig Manager and all your rackspaces will still work.

I am using RigManager, but I suspect I am using it differently than intended. Iā€™ll experiment and see what I can come up with. Next question: I have global midi controls mapped to the transport controls on Controller A. However, if I am using Controller B instead, do I need to relearn the global midi controls?

I played with Rig Manager some more, but I am still left with some questions.

I believe that I am using Rig Manager correctly. I have 2 Rigs created. 1 for Controller A and 1 for Controller B. I am able to switch between the 2 rigs depending on which controller I have connected at any given time. This seems to be working correctly with 2 exceptions.

1. When I first open a GP gig, my Global MIDI mappings are wonky. Although I have my Global MIDI mappings mapped as MIDI controls in my Rig, for some reason they are initially loading as if they are not mapped, and I donā€™t have control of Move up, Move down, etc. See screenshot. The Right view is how the Global MIDI mappings first load when I open GP. If I open Rig Manager and select my other Rig, click Apply, then select the Rig that was initially selected when GP opens and click Apply, the Global MIDI controls are now mapped properly to my MIDI controls (see left view), and I now have control of Move up, Move down, etc. Iā€™m using V 2.6.2 on Windows

2. I thought of 1 solution for my MIDI In blocks since I donā€™t want to use Omni blocks. Do you see any disadvantage for me doing this? I could create 1 MIDI In block for each of my controllers, and only 1 would ever be used at 1 time determined by the controller I have connected and the Rig I have selected.

For the MIDI in blocks - sure - what you did will work, but in your Rig Manager you named your controllers LX61 and LX88 even though only one will be connected at a time.
The ā€œproperā€ use of the rig Manager would dictate that you actually call either one of those ā€œKeyboard 1ā€ for example. Then, depending on the RIG you select Keyboard 1 will point to either LX61 or LX88. In your MIDI In bloc - you now simply select ā€œKeyboard 1ā€ as your device and youā€™re done. you do not have to think in terms of physical keyboard any more - you simply know that ā€œKeyboard 1ā€ is the keyboard attached right now.
This has an additional benefit if you decide to use some other keyboard at some point. You simply map that new keyboard as Keyboard 1 and all your rackspaces will work. Otherwise - youā€™d have to now create another MIDI in block or change itā€™s device internally.

Not sure why your initial global controls are behaving this way. Just tested with 2.6 and it behaves properly. Try to clear your global midi assignments and then learn them again so that the proper Rig Manager name shows up after you re-lear them. See if that helps.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

It seems that remapping my Global MIDI controls resolved that oddity.

And thanks for the Rig Manager clarification.

1 Like