Reason as a plugin

No idea what Reason contains…I’ve dabbled with it in the past but only with the synths

The same here. If an instrument doesn’t come under the roof of GP, I don’t bother with it. Now, I have a reason to upgrade my Reason from 10 to 11. A smart move on their part.

So far it seems to be behaving well in GigPerformer. I’ll return here with more thoughts as the beta unrolls.

I’ve been playing with it as well – it really does seem to work well

I have it going also in case we need to test anything specifically with GP. I ‘was’ able to make an earlier version crash in GP by moving an assigned hardware controller fast/repeatedly (reported through the crash reporting window in GP), but the latest version of the Reason VST seems very solid.

It’s good to report that feedback on the reason forums…apparently a lot of DAWs are having trouble with it so it’s good to know that it works with GP

Reason 11 has been released — I upgraded my personal copy so I could have the plugin — it really works very nicely with Gig Performer.

But the DAW itself is not working as a plugin, right?

They didn’t make the DAW a plugin, just the synths and effects.

How are the effects and instruments?
I am wondering if it is worth to buy - I have no usage for the DAW but the effects and instruments maybe.

It’s most of the synths/effects that were always in Reason. Can’t say whether it’s worth buying if you’re not upgrading from a previous version. I’m impressed however that the CPU usage is low.

You cannot use the plugin in offline mode (like you can do with the DAW). Could not get internet access at a gig and so could not authorize the plugin. Thankfully, I had a contingency plan for the gig.

Contacted the Devs who confirmed plugin does not work in offline mode. Asked for and received a refund.

So the hang you encountered at your gig was because of Reason? If so, that really sucks – those guys haven’t considered the use case of performance rather than recording.

This I found on their website, as I understand Internet Connection is only needed for authorization only.
I do not think that Internet Access is necessary anymore after authorization.
They do not use iLok Cloud where you always need Internet Connection.

Does Reason 11 have copy protection? How does it work?

Just as for previous versions, Reason 11 can be authorized in a couple of different ways:

• Computer Authorization (for offline use)
  • Internet Verification (requires a connection to the internet)

Reason Rack Plugin is authorized with the same license and in the same way and you authorize the stand-alone version of Reason.

No. Reason was uninstalled and refund received 2 week prior. Only change was GP 3.6.1 installation.

@pianopaul Tech support confirmed that the plugin will not work without an internet connection and offered a refund.

Interesting…they clearly haven’t thought things through, they’re still focused on production.

Do we perhaps have users of the Win version of Reason 11 who could help to reproduce the sustain issue here?

The plugin can be downloaded and used for 30 days in trial mode. That is what Nebojsa did to test it yesterday on Windows

Updated information for the new year and for Reason 12, based on a week+ of me flailing around :slight_smile:

• The Rack plugin works perfectly well with no Internet connection – just make sure you authorize the computer on which it’s running (the same way you perform computer-based authorization for the Reason DAW)

• The VST3 version seems to be great on Windows but crashes constantly on me on macOS Mojave (causing the entire GP to either hang or SIGSEGV)

• The AU version seems solid on macOS Mojave

The upside to all of this is that I can continue to use my 10+ years of Reason sounds live, now hosted inside GP, which is amazing! The downside is that it’s impossible to make a cross-platform gig file – but individual Reason Combinators can be saved and shared between platforms

2 Likes