Rackspaces go 'dead' randomly

OK, not so easy to find the cause.
Do you use scripting?

What is shown in the global MIDI monitor window when the rackspace is dead?

What happens when you press the panic button short twice (should reset the audio system)?

What happens when you replace the MIDI IN Omni plugins by the dedicated MIDI IN plugin for your hardware controller?

What do you do to ā€œfixā€ a Rackspace? What if you donā€™t ā€œfixā€ it and simply reload the gig file?

What do you have in common between the PC and the Laptop? (same audio interface?, same controllers?..)

I think @pianopaul is onto something with the MIDI In Omni plugins. It is causing a lot of MIDI confusion among your plugins. All devices are sending all MIDI messages everywhere.

@EricD - what happens if you get to the ā€œdeadā€ rackspace, then replace the Komplete Kontrol plugins with something else. Does the sound come back?

Maybe even better - go into the Plugin Manager window, disable all KK plugins and then load the gig file again, go to the dead rackspace and now replace the red KK plugins (which should not be loaded) with some other instrument plugin.

What weā€™re trying todo in this test is see if KK plugins have an issue with loading them so many times into different rackspaces.

I would never use the KK plugins in more than 1 rackspace.
I do not think it is working as it should when you press the instance button on the controller.
I gave up using this in GP, but that is not a fault of GP.

If last night didnā€™t bring any change, I would go and replace all the MIDI IN OMNI with dedicated MIDI IN blocks :wink:

MIDI IN OMNI - has ā€œomniā€ they receive MIDI from all devices you have on your setup

I just contacted NI if there is something special what can be done in using Komplete Kontrol Plugins in different rackspaces.

Ah yes, I missed this one. I think it could be that you are pointing out the culpit. This plugin has also NI hardware controlling stuff in it. It could be that all bets are off when having more instances of it running together in different rackspaces.

1 Like

@EricD: I tried your gig file and i didnā€™t face any issues, except from a quite long loading time and two or three missing audio tracks, but i could easily switch back and forth (and also by random) through your rackspaces and variationsā€¦ tried it in rackspace and setlist mode. No problems so far, no dying rackspaces at all.
My machine runs on WIN 10 / i7 / 32GB RAM / Komplete Kontrol S61Mk2 / Focusrite Scarlett Solo
I even tried to use the keyboard in ā€œPluginā€ mode which i never do when using Gig Peformer - no problems.
But iā€™d also propose to not use the Komplete Kontrol plugin, because it might actually interfere with the hardware in a non predictable way, as had already been said.

@EricD: I just tested on Mac and I did not face the issue.

ok wow! I woke up to all these wonderful ideas. Coffee is going now. Let me go thru these. thanks!!! also, have an interested updateā€¦ will post next

Interesting discovery: IF I disconnect ANY blue ā€˜wireā€™, the entire rackspace comes back to life!

(and i thought my days of bad cables were behind me hahahaha! LMAO)

nowā€¦ why is that happening, and how can that be prevented?

Do you use the recent version of Komplete kontrol?

Good idea, thank you, Absolutely using all current versions and updates, first thing i did before coming here.

btw, everyone knows the metro synth songā€¦ that screen shot above does this when working: Redirecting...

how are the blue ā€˜wiresā€™ becoming unstable?

Strangeā€¦
Do you just switch rackspaces without playing?
Do you use patch persist?
What Samplerate and buffer size are you using?
Does it happen with different audio interfaces?
Are you using scripting?
How looks the global MIDI monitor immediately before the rackspace goes down?

thank you!

For my understanding:
What do you mean by reload?
You load the gig and play, no issue.
You reload the gig and play => no the issue occurs?
Are you using predictive load?

Maybe it is worth to investigate,
loaded your gig and got this message

I mean, close the gig file, and load another gig file. (and it happens both closing GP and leaving it running)

yes, now the issue occurs (random, and it can be one rackspace, or 2, or none)

no

So you load a gig and then you load the problematic or do you reload the same?